“A Grand Fight for Winning!” Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: “A Grand Fight for Winning!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: “A Grand Fight for Winning!” Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    So if I understood correct, it seems like they actually bothered to make a brand new song for this ep! When was the last time that happened? Season 9 ?
    10 11 12 - three seasons they never bothered to do that... and finally they do it again
    I liked how 4Kids did it a lot (eps like Pika almost leaving, Misty leave, Max and Ralts, Pika lose memory, etc...) and I was disappointed that the new dub seemed to either not use songs in eps at all, or use existing ones instead of creating new ones for the specific ep
    I really hope they'll continue to use new songs when needed
    And I hope TPCi release the full version soon. That song was awesome!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijumaru View Post
    Something disappointing is that Dawn has never ever won against Zoey.
    Yeah, I thought this would be when she does. I'd like to think that if Dawn had won, it'd would've been a historical moment in the Anime: A main character winning a regional tournament.

Talk about wasted opportunities.

Blog Entries

It was a nice battle at all, but there was still too much dub music. At least we got what seems to be a new vocal song. It was a bit hard to hear though.

It also would've been nice if there was a little less commentary and more fighting. It felt like just as we were getting into the flow of things someone would comment on the battle. I know that's nothing new, but do we really need a peanut gallery during the last Contest ever?

Something interesting is that scene of Jessie throwing away her Contest dress and how they talked about focusing on Team Rocket again. (Though I think Kojiro talking about a comeback to the path of evil was more telling.) Amazing how long ago the foreshadowing began.

Something disappointing is that Dawn has never ever won against Zoey.
    I don't think she really had any reason to win this battle
    It's much better character development wise to make her almost win (prove she's getting closer to Zoey's level) but still lose (prove she can handle losing now and be totally ok with it) and prove her maturity to her mom (giving her back the ribbon, saying she now has her Poké and friends) despite her lose
    It's a perfect ending for Dawn's character... beating Zoey would just ruin it
    Hopefully one day we'll see Dawn beat Zoey or at least hear about it somehow, but even if we don't, I'm happy with what they did

Blog Entries

I don't think she really had any reason to win this battle
    It's much better character development wise to make her almost win (prove she's getting closer to Zoey's level) but still lose (prove she can handle losing now and be totally ok with it) and prove her maturity to her mom (giving her back the ribbon, saying she now has her Poké and friends) despite her lose
    It's a perfect ending for Dawn's character... beating Zoey would just ruin it
    Hopefully one day we'll see Dawn beat Zoey or at least hear about it somehow, but even if we don't, I'm happy with what they did
    yeah, I guess you're right, but in pretty much the same way, Ash won against Paul in the League officially for the first time. So this is pretty much the same thing (albeit not in the finals) except the other way around.

Blog Entries

It's a perfect ending for Dawn's character... beating Zoey would just ruin it.
    I don't see how. I would've liked it if Dawn won. Personally, it would've really completed her character development. But that would depend on how the writers would write the episode. Don't blame the puppet, blame the puppet master.

'sides, just because it hasn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I don't see how. I would've liked it if Dawn won. Personally, it would've really completed her character development. But that would depend on how the writers would write the episode. Don't blame the puppet, blame the puppet master.

'sides, just because it hasn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't have.
    It sets a new goal for Dawn and it makes the series less predictable, I think that's what he means.

Blog Entries

i wish Dawn beat Zoey in the semi-finals and then lost against Nando or some other "expert coordinator"-type person

yeah, I guess you're right, but in pretty much the same way, Ash won against Paul in the League officially for the first time. So this is pretty much the same thing (albeit not in the finals) except the other way around.
    The Ash/Paul and Dawn/Zoey relationships are completely different
    Ash wanted to prove Paul wrong, so obviously they'd make him win to resolve this
    Zoey was a mentor to Dawn who constantly helped Dawn get over her problems and is like a figure for Dawn to idolize and aim to be like her one day
    It's different, with Ash they really HAD to make him win to get a conclusion for their rivalry... while with Dawn and Zoey, it really wasn't about one being better than the other or anything like that

I don't see how.
    The whole of Dawn's story is about losing confident, gaining it back, learning to deal with losing, realizing she has her Pokémon and friends for support...

By losing the GF instead of winning it, we could see Dawn's reaction to a lose again... and she acted very mature about it
    She also proved that despite the fact she just lost, she finally realized what her mom told her since way back at DP 12 - she now has her Pokémon and friends and doesn't need to rely on her mom anymore
    It's much more effective when the character realizes this despite losing rather than after winning...

Personally, it would've really completed her character development.
    I can't see how Dawn's development could be any more "complete" than that
    I honestly felt like this episode was the perfect conclusion of Dawn's story...

Blog Entries

I can't see how Dawn's development could be any more "complete" than that
    I honestly felt like this episode was the perfect conclusion of Dawn's story...
    That's why I said "personally". It's not a unanimous fact that everyone agrees on, it's just my opinion.

I'm not glad that Dawn lost but I'm not sad about it either. I am happy that the final battle was epic.

Blog Entries

I'm not glad that Dawn lost but I'm not sad about it either. I am happy that the final battle was epic.
    It's character development. We might meet them again and she might win against Zoey.

Maybe they could've traded off a loss against Zoey for a win against Ursula.

Blog Entries

i guess the writer were kinda unfair when they made May break down after she lost against Solidad

Blog Entries

It's character development. We might meet them again and she might win against Zoey.

Maybe they could've traded off a loss against Zoey for a win against Ursula.
    I don't know. Best Wishes doesn't show signs of referencing past events to create a Continuity Lockout for the newer viewers they intend to bring. Hell, Iris calls Ash as kid (as in a beginning trainer) and Ash doesn't mention the fact that he's competed in five leagues so far.

Maybe. I would've like it if Dawn and Zoey tied showing that they were equally matched too.

Quote Originally Posted by leafpickker View Post
    i guess the writer were kinda unfair when they made May break down after she lost against Solidad
    Why unfair? Is May not allowed to show emotion? Dawn cried a few times too... May just finally beat her rivals and got to the Top 4 only to lose, of course she'd be sad about it and it's ok to cry
    Dawn's story was very different than May and it focused on her learning to steal with losing, so it'd be extremely stupid if she'd cry in this ep... this ep was the conclusion of Dawn, not degrading her to DP12-Dawn

Best Wishes doesn't show signs of referencing past events to create a Continuity Lockout for the newer viewers they intend to bring.
    Lies
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3474/bw001ashroomdp.jpg

Hell, Iris calls Ash as kid (as in a beginning trainer)
    Acting childish and being a beginner are two completely different things
    Ash obviously only acted like that cause he was extremely excited of being in a brand new region filled with Pokémon he never saw and that actually has NO old Poké at all...
    It'd be stupid if Ash wouldn't act like that and would be totally out of character
    Also, Iris often tell him he's a "kid" for no real reason at all... she just likes to tease him like that, that's part of her character

and Ash doesn't mention the fact that he's competed in five leagues so far.
    Why would he mention it randomly? he's not trying to prove anything to Iris... he's just doing whatever he wants and wonders why she insist on following him
    Also, Oak did tell Ash he'll see here Pokémon that he never saw in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh...

Maybe. I would've like it if Dawn and Zoey tied showing that they were equally matched too.
    You can't really tie for something like that... what would they do? split the cup and each gets half?...

Blog Entries

You can't really tie for something like that... what would they do? split the cup and each gets half?...
    You have a sudden death round in which they decide the winner once both of one side's Pokémon is knocked out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast