“The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World!” Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: “The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: “The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World!” Review Thread

Dawn is pretty much the barbie doll of the Pokeverse main characters.

Anyway, while I did like this episode...I wish it was a two parters. It still felt rushed as hell after the 1 year wait.

Blog Entries

So once again, the dub either has things too literal or completely off base. I hope they realize someday that there's a happy medium that other anime dubs do.

While I feel the dub was slightly better overall, there was definitely an off moment with Ash's speech to Infernape and the poor choice of music played. Otherwise this was pretty enjoyable. A bit sad to think how close to the end we are.

I'm just going to ignore Team Rocket from here on out. They'll obviously never change, so I'll just wait it out until BW. Maybe then the dub will actually try to keep them accurate.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I liked this episode. It's nice when they actually use game mechanics in the anime (such as abilities and advance priority moves) and Team Rocket was honestly funny in my opinion. I loved when they opened the door only for another door to fall in it's place. This episode got straight to the action and was action-packed all the way through.

8.5/10

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

I actually thought he took too long to get the badge, so this will bump the ratings down by....3

7.5/10

OSHAWHAT?

Too long in this episode or too long in general? If it's the latter, should you really take off points for this episode for something that happened (or did not happen) in the past?

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem is that many people were expecting Ash and Volkner's match to be a 2-parter, especially with the 52-episode gap. If we travel back in time, Juan fought Ash in a 5-on-5 battle that resolved in two episodes. In addition to battling Ash twice, Clair received five episodes dedicated to herself.

Volkner was supposed to be the strongest gym leader in Sinnoh, so powerful that he gave up battling challengers nonetheless, in both the games and in the anime. There was no doubt that the expecations for this match were high.

Personally I believed that Volkner would have stayed true with his DP team (to be consistent with past gym leaders).

Electivire was quite a nice surprise here, I do admit. The writers truly did a good job with screwing Ash over in the battle. Torterra is one of his few pokemon that is completely immune to Electric-type attacks. For Volkner to completely overrun Ash's front-liner, this only exemplifies the gym leader's talents.

This was a good episode from start to finish. I had only wished that the battle resolved earlier than this.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 30th October 2010 at 12:19 PM.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    Too long in this episode or too long in general? If it's the latter, should you really take off points for this episode for something that happened (or did not happen) in the past?
    too long in general.

Ok, here are my thoughts for the episode:

- Once again, Torterra fails to get a win. Meh.
    - Remember back when Ash faced Crasher Wake, how Team Rocket just got two quick scenes before and after the Gym Battle... well why couldn't that have been done this time too. Things can be just starting to get tense and then the momentum the episode had picked up in completely thrown away just for a pointless comedy scene.
    - You know, after the Grand Festival battle between Dawn and Zoey I actually thought that the final battle between Infernape and Luxray would get an insert song in place of The Greatest Everyday... but no. As I feared, all we got was a piece of crappy, lyric-less dub music that's used in every other episode. Made it seem like Infernape controlling Blaze was just 'something that happened', instead of having the massive implications that it's going to have on the rest of the league. Yeah, I wasn't impressed.
    - Lily of the Valley Island? Ok, normally I like it when a place name is a direct translation but... man, that is a lot to say. Couldn't it have been shortened down, maybe Lilyvalley Island or something?
    - Pikachu finally defeated a member of the Electabuzz family. It only took thirteen years.
    - I always think the first shot of Electivire running past Pikachu looks pretty funny.
    - Also starring Volkner's Raichu as 'Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Episode'
    - So, Volkner got his Platinum team. Guess the anime producers couldn't work Ambipom and Octillery into the battle.
    - Man, Flint talked through gritted teeth a lot this week.
    - Anyway, enough moaning because I'll talk about the part of this episode I really, really liked... the colouring. After the lights go out, for the rest of the battle the shading and colouring on all the characters really made it look like they were sitting in a darkened room. It looked great, and I wish that sort of thing was done more often.

Basically, great episode. Bad dub.

Blog Entries

Blaze finally being controlled is as epic as ever. Poor Torterra, though. They directly translated Suzuran, I think. Sure is a mouthful for a location name. The end draws ever closer...
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

The Referee Robot (in the dub) had more personality than "most" characters in the anime, the little thing was awesome even if it was dub only (if I remember correctly).

I'll try remain brief and to the point and hope I'm not breaking "the forbidden rule" but it is unusual to see Electivire being dubbed here, since most of the time they usually leave the ele-line alone when it comes to dub. And that's the only comment I have on that (for this forum).

While somewhat awkward at time I did like Dawn cheering for Ash, she was actually pretty good (at being a Cheerleader), although again it was awkward at times. Maybe because I'm not used to Dawn being a cheerleader since there are times she didn't "cheer" like that.

I too was utterly disappointed at the lack of a lyrical song during the time Infernape activated Blaze, listened to Ash and defeated Luxray. Normally I don't care about music, but I had high hopes and expectations. Now I'm expecting the League to be badly music dubbed. I sort of hate when the Japanese do use Lyrical songs for a purpose, and the dub picks and chooses, since apparently, lyrical music costs so much to put in the episode. Again I don't care too much, but unlike other people, I usually despise instrumental music unless its fitting to the scene and a lyrical song is distracting (after all no background music should ever drown out the dialogue of an episode unless that was the "original" purpose of the Background music.)

Okay...enough that. While yes "Lily-of-the-valley" island is a mouthful, I still like it. At first I was like "what did they name the island?" but after realizing what they said, I like it. Besides should the problem ever come up, shouldn't Ash just say he got Top ??? in the Sinnoh League? Since after all I doubt people would know "Lily of the Valley" more so than the region "Sinnoh." And unless a region has other "leagues" I can't see how saying Ash will enter the "Sinnoh League" will be confusing to people. Of course Sinnoh is unfortunate to not have a name for their location of the Elite Four, every generation (technically, while Johto used Kanto's league location, Mt. Silver does exist in the anime) has a name for their League Locations (Elite Four), except for the 4th gen and possibly the 5th gen. I wonder why they stopped naming the Elite Four Location in the games (assuming 5th gen has a generic name, though probably not). If 5th gen did name the Elite Four Location, I do wonder why 4th gen didn't.

Oh and in case you didn't see it, the ending "sketch art style" shot in the end. Brock looked "Fabulous" maybe not as much a particular character but still Brock looked funny in that shot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees4life View Post
    I actually thought he took too long to get the badge, so this will bump the ratings down by....3

7.5/10
    Yes, I agree. They could have decreased the wait to before the Grand Festival, the Meowth filler or the Heatran episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Chandelier View Post
    or the Heatran episode.
    That was a promotional episode. They couldn't dump that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    That was a promotional episode. They couldn't dump that.
    Yes, but the Sunyshore Tower episode had no purpose other than to give Grotle an evolution and a new move. It simply could have evolved in the gym battle, which would be better if it were DP166. If Ash lost, the rematch could be in this episode.

PURPLE HERMIT! Chosen of Mana's Avatar Archives Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Chosen of Mana On Twitter

While I agree for the most part the the dub music is pretty low-quality, I can't really bring myself to give enough of a damn. Sorry. :(

Big claimin'
    Cresselia (Pokémon)
    Colette Brunel [Tales of Symphonia] and Yuri Lowell [Tales of Vesperia] (Video game characters)

So this was the much-anticipated eighth and last gym battle against Volkner.

I've got to admit that in retrospect the battle indeed seemed a little bit rushed and I also wished that it had been a two-parter, but maybe the writers' reasoning was that considering that Volkner already got two episodes dedicated to himself, they couldn't drag out the gym battle anymore. I do understand what made the writers decide this way, but still I think that their decision was neither reasonable nor wise. Considering that Flint will have 4 episodes under his belt after next week's episode (and will even get a 5th one where, however, he'll lose to the one and only Queen and supreme Master of Pokemon!) they could as well have given Volkner a third episode and us a longer gym battle.
    Nevertheless, the battle, albeit a little bit short, was epic! Living up to my expectations of what makes a great final gym battle, it can rightly be called a worthy battle for the last badge.
    Torterra losing was predictable, Pikachu could hold its own and did an awesome job, but it was thanks to Infernape that the episode was purely epic.
    That scene in which the lights went out and Infernape's eyes started glowing red and it turned into a flaming inferno so that you could have gotten the impression that it was a frightening creature from hell itself, that scene was E.P.I.C
    But that's not all: INFERNape was then walking towards Ash in a way that sure made me worry about our trainer from Pallet Town and while it was fighting against Luxray, it had one of the most frightening but at the same time most epic and impressive voices in the whole Pokemon Anime!

And another great aspect of this week's episode was the fact that Ash or rather Infernape dominated the last fight, making it a clear victory for a change. Usually Ash wins with (great) difficulty, but this time there was no doubt at all that he really deserved the badge!

What I didn't like, however, was Flint smiling through gritted teeth so often. Don't get me wrong, I really like the character of Flint, but those scenes were so unfitting! As if they wanted to poke fun at him, because they showed him in that awkward pose! You don't do that to Elite Four members, did you hear me ?! Really, the writers could have spared us that!

And last but not least, I have to say that Team Rocket's line were great today. Especially their remarks about perms, beauty parlors and rubber rooms were hilarious and cracked me up.

A fantastic, action-packed and exciting, but, above all, epic Pokemon episode! It's those awe-inspiring scenes like Infernape activating its Blaze and looking freaking awesome that I want to see more often in Pokemon

9 out of 10 points

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    A bit sad to think how close to the end we are.
    Look at it this way: Yes, it's extremely sad that Sinnoh is going to come to an end soon, as I'm not looking forward to B/W at all, which, by the looks of things, will end up as second Johto journey (and we know what that means...)
    But hey, we're again one episode closer to seeing my beloved Queen and dear Angel Cynthia. This gives me strength

[and btw. @ Claire: What kind of pterodactyl are you? just for insiders ;) ]
    Last edited by Musashi; 30th October 2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Removed last name of user by request of said user.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast