Where's my Pokémon Wii?
by, 4th February 2009 at 02:17 PM (1193 Views)
In the space between the release of the DS and DP, Nintendo made a strong effort to do interesting things with the Pokémon license. In that time we got four different games, all (somewhat) fresh ideas:
- Mystery Dungeon
Genius Sonority also took a second shot at a Gamecube RPG during that time period. But what have we got since then?
- Battle Revolution. Simply a Stadium game rushed out for the release of the Wii. Genius Sonority have used the time since then to produce "100 Classic Book Collection".
- A Mystery Dungeon sequel. Ok.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sequel to a 2001 game.
- A Ranger sequel. Often overlooked in the complaints against Nintendo's Q4 but it's still yet another sequel.
- Pokémon Ranch. Putting the new Box on Wiiware was a natural move. Not letting you use it to transfer Pokémon between save files was a stupid move. Oh, and sequel.
My issues with Ranch aside, I did enjoy all those sequels. But there's no new takes on the franchise coming our way. And what are we currently looking forward to this year? Not one, but two "third versions". Platinum was predictable and I'll probably buy it but Chunsoft's attempts to cash in the cow are another story. The main series is on some shaky ground with justifying that strategy but there's absolutely no reason for the MD series to have so many versions of the same game.
I'll be reasonable. Ranger 2 and one version of MD2 can pass for recent DS coverage. But I want a worthy Wii title. Not a bare bones DS update to previous release, not a game where Pikachu is overshadowed by other Nintendo franchises. Just a full game for the home console. That's all I ask for.
Total Trackbacks 0