Trip isn't as terrible as everyone says. (Warning Pretty Long)
by, 1st September 2013 at 05:38 PM (526 Views)
Over the course of BW series there have been multiple complaints and pet peeves that I have heard among the fandom.
Aside from Ash's nerf complaints and complaints about his team and companions along with the dub the most heard complaint I have heard is about Ash's Unova main rival Trip. I will address many of the said complaints on here.
1. He spams the same Pokemon too much- Trip has had 10 battles. 8 of which have been 1 on 1 battles. His Tranquill, Frillish and Vanillite have all had 1 battle, his Lampent had no battles, his Conkeldurr had 3 battles and his Serperior was in all but 2 of his battles. While he had overused Serperior it wasn't senseless overuse. It is common for a rookie to rely on his starter Pokemon during their early journeys. and in the Junior Cup and Unova League he logically went for his best Pokemon since he already had the intention to use the JC as practice for when he battled Alder and against Ash why would he use anyone but Serperior? I mean he is basically a smart version of Ash in terms of how he battles so logically he would rely on his trusted partner. As for Conkeldurr he was testing out his newly evolved Pokemon and in the Clubsplosion he just went along with the theme of the tournament. So basically his supposed "spamming" of Pokemon is simply because of his lack of battles. Had he battled more or had something other then a 1 on 1 he would have used more Pokemon.
2. He is weak against anyone but Ash- Last I recall he only lost 3 battles that weren't against Ash. 1 of which was against a Champion it would be forced that he didn't lose. Against Bianca and Cilan he literally used his weakest portrayed Pokemon and nearly defeated their respective best Pokemon. His Conkeldurr was basically the equivalent to what Paul's Weavile and Ursaring (pre-Full Battle) were to Paul, strong Pokemon that are meant to lose to make the opponent look better.
3. He is only competent with Serperior- People constantly forget to take into account that his Tranquill, Frillish and Vanillite had all shown how powerful they were. His Lampent never battled and his Conkeldurr always lost. The fact he only lost 1 on 1 battles doesn't even classify him as incompetent. Had he lost every battle with every Pokemon he had then he would be classified as incompetent but that is not the case is it.
4. He is boring- He broke no molds but at least he didn't follow the same goofball rival trend that the other BW rivals did. Having 3 characters who are always onscreen overuse their gags is for more boring then someone just being there.
5. He is a terrible rival- There can be no such thing as a bad rival as a rivalry is something that needs mutual effort put in to it. Trip barely tried to interact with Ash but how is that all Trip's fault. BW Ash was just a pest that always wanted a battle. Neither of the two even tried to motivate the other and their rivalry never developed past the generic stage and as a result died out after Trip vanished. Even then at least he battled often him which is more then his other "rivals" did.
6. He didn't deserve a Full Battle at the league- Yeah because rivals that debut 10 episodes before a league deserve Full Battles right. No they don't. To say Trip didn't deserve a full battle for not having a good rivalry with Ash is illogical seeing how many characters Ash did have a full battle against who he had even less of a rivalry with. A full battle would have given both Trip and Ash's Pokemon more exposure which they both needed. To go against Ash's Pokemon getting more exposure is just ridiculous especially when guys like Palpitoad, Leavanny, Boldore and Unfezant rotted from under use.
7. He is not developed/ had a weak backstory- His backstory with Alder is weak but people are still in belief that Paul's backstory was any better. I liked Paul but I'm not going to fool myself like most of the fandom and say that he had a good backstory. Becoming a super douche because your brother lost a battle is just as bad as a wanting to prove your loved idol wrong about how they view your beliefs. Trip is also more developed then the entirety of BW cast combined. With most of them staying stagnant aside from a few. He was poorly developed and his change was forced but what screentime did he actually get aside tournaments in later BW. None instead the reliance on fillers and gags screwed over not only Trip but all the other rivals.
8. He is overpowered- This is one of the most often complaints. The fact that he trained his Pokemon and evolved them despite being a beginner doesn't make him overpowered. We have not followed his journey or seen what he does so it is ridiculous to say he doesn't struggle when we don't see his journey. It is nonsense to believe that every rookie has to be a noob. Trip studied for years before starting his journey so evolving and training his Pokemon is only expected. Honestly he is only overpowered in comparison to who he was around which really doesn't say much.
9. He is a rookie- So what if he is a rookie. A knowledgeable rookie can easily be better then a veteran who has no idea about a new region. I mean he is bashed for being a rookie yet Ash was basically a rookie in comparison to most of his opponents yet he beat them anyway and its a crime for someone to give Ash a taste of his own medicine. That's just ridiculous.
10. He is a Paul clone- This is without a doubt the most ridiculous of all the Trip complaints. Are they similar yes, are they identical hell no. People act like Paul invented the distant jerk rival archetype yet they are completely wrong. Paul was a cold, abusive veteran who hated weak Pokemon and poorly treated everyone aside from his elders and had a conflict with Ash because of training styles. Their conflict was generic but was treated right and got good focus which made it good in return. Trip was an cocky, antisocial rookie who was overconfident and constantly belittled everyone and only had a "rivalry" with Ash just because. They were both jerks that curbstomped Ash at some point, They had similar looks, both are arrogant. The Trip being a Paul clone explanations are all shallow. They were their own characters and people only bring in old faces just because they can't have their favorite old characters back. Paul was based off of Silver and Trip was based off of Cheren neither characters are a clone of anyone. Paul wanted to prove Reggie wrong and obsessed to not end up like him which in term made him a cold abusive jerk. He constantly bashed anything that he saw as weak just because he didn't want to end up like the brother that he strives so hard to not be like. Trip wanted to battle Alder to fulfill a goal he had wanted to fulfill as a child he somehow ended up an arrogant, cocky jerk and as soon as he finds out the ideal role model he had was nothing but a senile old man and that his motivation he used as a trainer was nothing but a lie so he ended up becoming obsessed with proving Alder wrong and in return becoming even more cocky and arrogant. While slightly similar none of those two things are identical at all.
Sorry for my rant. But its a major pet peeve of mine to see people bash Trip so hard without even using real logic cause they dislike his character so much. While I respect the opinions of others I just can't respect the idea of blindly bashing something just because it didn't reach their expectations. Btw I actually am a Paul fan. xD
Total Trackbacks 0