Trip isn't as terrible as everyone says. (Warning Pretty Long) - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums
View RSS Feed

Ben 10

Trip isn't as terrible as everyone says. (Warning Pretty Long)

Rate this Entry
Over the course of BW series there have been multiple complaints and pet peeves that I have heard among the fandom.
Aside from Ash's nerf complaints and complaints about his team and companions along with the dub the most heard complaint I have heard is about Ash's Unova main rival Trip. I will address many of the said complaints on here.

1. He spams the same Pokemon too much- Trip has had 10 battles. 8 of which have been 1 on 1 battles. His Tranquill, Frillish and Vanillite have all had 1 battle, his Lampent had no battles, his Conkeldurr had 3 battles and his Serperior was in all but 2 of his battles. While he had overused Serperior it wasn't senseless overuse. It is common for a rookie to rely on his starter Pokemon during their early journeys. and in the Junior Cup and Unova League he logically went for his best Pokemon since he already had the intention to use the JC as practice for when he battled Alder and against Ash why would he use anyone but Serperior? I mean he is basically a smart version of Ash in terms of how he battles so logically he would rely on his trusted partner. As for Conkeldurr he was testing out his newly evolved Pokemon and in the Clubsplosion he just went along with the theme of the tournament. So basically his supposed "spamming" of Pokemon is simply because of his lack of battles. Had he battled more or had something other then a 1 on 1 he would have used more Pokemon.

2. He is weak against anyone but Ash- Last I recall he only lost 3 battles that weren't against Ash. 1 of which was against a Champion it would be forced that he didn't lose. Against Bianca and Cilan he literally used his weakest portrayed Pokemon and nearly defeated their respective best Pokemon. His Conkeldurr was basically the equivalent to what Paul's Weavile and Ursaring (pre-Full Battle) were to Paul, strong Pokemon that are meant to lose to make the opponent look better.

3. He is only competent with Serperior- People constantly forget to take into account that his Tranquill, Frillish and Vanillite had all shown how powerful they were. His Lampent never battled and his Conkeldurr always lost. The fact he only lost 1 on 1 battles doesn't even classify him as incompetent. Had he lost every battle with every Pokemon he had then he would be classified as incompetent but that is not the case is it.

4. He is boring- He broke no molds but at least he didn't follow the same goofball rival trend that the other BW rivals did. Having 3 characters who are always onscreen overuse their gags is for more boring then someone just being there.

5. He is a terrible rival- There can be no such thing as a bad rival as a rivalry is something that needs mutual effort put in to it. Trip barely tried to interact with Ash but how is that all Trip's fault. BW Ash was just a pest that always wanted a battle. Neither of the two even tried to motivate the other and their rivalry never developed past the generic stage and as a result died out after Trip vanished. Even then at least he battled often him which is more then his other "rivals" did.

6. He didn't deserve a Full Battle at the league- Yeah because rivals that debut 10 episodes before a league deserve Full Battles right. No they don't. To say Trip didn't deserve a full battle for not having a good rivalry with Ash is illogical seeing how many characters Ash did have a full battle against who he had even less of a rivalry with. A full battle would have given both Trip and Ash's Pokemon more exposure which they both needed. To go against Ash's Pokemon getting more exposure is just ridiculous especially when guys like Palpitoad, Leavanny, Boldore and Unfezant rotted from under use.

7. He is not developed/ had a weak backstory- His backstory with Alder is weak but people are still in belief that Paul's backstory was any better. I liked Paul but I'm not going to fool myself like most of the fandom and say that he had a good backstory. Becoming a super douche because your brother lost a battle is just as bad as a wanting to prove your loved idol wrong about how they view your beliefs. Trip is also more developed then the entirety of BW cast combined. With most of them staying stagnant aside from a few. He was poorly developed and his change was forced but what screentime did he actually get aside tournaments in later BW. None instead the reliance on fillers and gags screwed over not only Trip but all the other rivals.

8. He is overpowered- This is one of the most often complaints. The fact that he trained his Pokemon and evolved them despite being a beginner doesn't make him overpowered. We have not followed his journey or seen what he does so it is ridiculous to say he doesn't struggle when we don't see his journey. It is nonsense to believe that every rookie has to be a noob. Trip studied for years before starting his journey so evolving and training his Pokemon is only expected. Honestly he is only overpowered in comparison to who he was around which really doesn't say much.

9. He is a rookie- So what if he is a rookie. A knowledgeable rookie can easily be better then a veteran who has no idea about a new region. I mean he is bashed for being a rookie yet Ash was basically a rookie in comparison to most of his opponents yet he beat them anyway and its a crime for someone to give Ash a taste of his own medicine. That's just ridiculous.

10. He is a Paul clone- This is without a doubt the most ridiculous of all the Trip complaints. Are they similar yes, are they identical hell no. People act like Paul invented the distant jerk rival archetype yet they are completely wrong. Paul was a cold, abusive veteran who hated weak Pokemon and poorly treated everyone aside from his elders and had a conflict with Ash because of training styles. Their conflict was generic but was treated right and got good focus which made it good in return. Trip was an cocky, antisocial rookie who was overconfident and constantly belittled everyone and only had a "rivalry" with Ash just because. They were both jerks that curbstomped Ash at some point, They had similar looks, both are arrogant. The Trip being a Paul clone explanations are all shallow. They were their own characters and people only bring in old faces just because they can't have their favorite old characters back. Paul was based off of Silver and Trip was based off of Cheren neither characters are a clone of anyone. Paul wanted to prove Reggie wrong and obsessed to not end up like him which in term made him a cold abusive jerk. He constantly bashed anything that he saw as weak just because he didn't want to end up like the brother that he strives so hard to not be like. Trip wanted to battle Alder to fulfill a goal he had wanted to fulfill as a child he somehow ended up an arrogant, cocky jerk and as soon as he finds out the ideal role model he had was nothing but a senile old man and that his motivation he used as a trainer was nothing but a lie so he ended up becoming obsessed with proving Alder wrong and in return becoming even more cocky and arrogant. While slightly similar none of those two things are identical at all.

Sorry for my rant. But its a major pet peeve of mine to see people bash Trip so hard without even using real logic cause they dislike his character so much. While I respect the opinions of others I just can't respect the idea of blindly bashing something just because it didn't reach their expectations. Btw I actually am a Paul fan. xD

Submit "Trip isn't as terrible as everyone says. (Warning Pretty Long)" to Digg Submit "Trip isn't as terrible as everyone says. (Warning Pretty Long)" to del.icio.us Submit "Trip isn't as terrible as everyone says. (Warning Pretty Long)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Trip isn't as terrible as everyone says. (Warning Pretty Long)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. Reila's Avatar
    I thought he was a pretty lame rival, but then the writers introduced Cameron and suddenly Trip didn't seem to be that bad anymore.
  2. Ben 10's Avatar
    I can understand why he could come off as lame. BW in all can be considered lame actually. Cameron was not needed honestly Ash and Bianca are goofy enough as it is.
  3. Karamazov's Avatar
    I liked Trip. I just felt he got screwed over starting with Alder's debut ep; it felt like the writers were hurrying to move him away from the spotlight.

    I sort of wish he and Georgia switched places. Iris seemed much better at getting a reaction from Trip, and Georgia and Ash had a fun battle.
  4. Ben 10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrary
    I liked Trip. I just felt he got screwed over starting with Alder's debut ep; it felt like the writers were hurrying to move him away from the spotlight.

    I sort of wish he and Georgia switched places. Iris seemed much better at getting a reaction from Trip, and Georgia and Ash had a fun battle.
    I know what you mean. It would have been more logical had they had actual decent rivals. But the others were not that great and only got less bashing since they weren't the "main" rival.

    I agree. It's ironic that for a series with so many rivals this series had almost the least amount of rival focus ever.
  5. CynthiaLover's Avatar
    Trip wasn't the worst. He wasn't the greatest, but he had some good qualities. Cameron, on the other hand, was a royal screwball. Sure, I admit, I chewed him out a bit at first, but after a while I just shrugged it off and went on with life. While Paul was a game-changer, forcing Ash to really pull all the stops to show Paul that there is more than one way to battle, so to speak, Trip has his points as well. He spent a greater time training, just like Paul, but that doesn't make him a Paul-clone. It just shows that different people have similar styles when it came to battles, and it's especially clear with Starter Pokemon (both Torterra and Serperior were extremely well trained, and they were their respective Trainer's starter, so there is logic behind that).

    Oh, and I agree with Contrary. Swapping Georgia with him would've been a great move. I liked Georgia a lot, she had plenty of spunk, and would give a rival respect when called for. A bit rude, yes, and a bit of a sore loser, yeah, but that's not a big whoop. Georgia as one of Ash's rivals would've be great, as she would encourage him to battle hard and show his true strength. At least in my opinion.

    So, yeah, Trip wasn't all that bad, especially compared to some of the BW crew. He seemed a bit too big for his britches at first, but once you found out his motivation, and learned a bit more about him, then you can see him in a better light. I admit, I didn't like him at first, but he did prove his point, and was even willing to help (does Oshawotto's Aqua Jet ring any bells?), so he can't be all bad. So, yeah, while I didn't like him at first, he did prove his reasons well.
  6. Ben 10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaLover
    Trip wasn't the worst. He wasn't the greatest, but he had some good qualities. Cameron, on the other hand, was a royal screwball. Sure, I admit, I chewed him out a bit at first, but after a while I just shrugged it off and went on with life. While Paul was a game-changer, forcing Ash to really pull all the stops to show Paul that there is more than one way to battle, so to speak, Trip has his points as well. He spent a greater time training, just like Paul, but that doesn't make him a Paul-clone. It just shows that different people have similar styles when it came to battles, and it's especially clear with Starter Pokemon (both Torterra and Serperior were extremely well trained, and they were their respective Trainer's starter, so there is logic behind that).

    Oh, and I agree with Contrary. Swapping Georgia with him would've been a great move. I liked Georgia a lot, she had plenty of spunk, and would give a rival respect when called for. A bit rude, yes, and a bit of a sore loser, yeah, but that's not a big whoop. Georgia as one of Ash's rivals would've be great, as she would encourage him to battle hard and show his true strength. At least in my opinion.

    So, yeah, Trip wasn't all that bad, especially compared to some of the BW crew. He seemed a bit too big for his britches at first, but once you found out his motivation, and learned a bit more about him, then you can see him in a better light. I admit, I didn't like him at first, but he did prove his point, and was even willing to help (does Oshawotto's Aqua Jet ring any bells?), so he can't be all bad. So, yeah, while I didn't like him at first, he did prove his reasons well.
    Trip could have worked better with a writing improvement. He was still better then Gary in the battle department though.

    I agree with you. Honestly I think that Georgia would have been the only fitting replacement if Trip wasn't the main rival. They are the only BW characters who aren't complete jokes and take themselves seriously. I'm not sure it could have been the same as with Trip since BW Ash would probably not try regardless. Don't forget that Trip told Ah t work on Scraggy's Focus Blast.
  7. PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    So what if he's a rookie? So everything it's stupid to have Ash who did better against Tobias than anyone else to lose to this poor excuse for checked box.
  8. Trevenant's Avatar
    I think probably the biggest problem that most people have with Shooty deals less with how good of a rival and more that he's essentially supposed to be Satoshi's primary rival in Best Wishes. You make a lot of really good points, but I think CynthiaLover nails it on the head by saying that he wasn't a great rival, but he wasn't a bad one either. He was okay and coming off of someone like Shinji, who ended up pushing Satoshi to greater heights as a trainer, the way Shooty's rivalry with Shooty plays out is much less interesting. Shooty isn't a bad character or a terrible rival, but he doesn't really stand out in any particular way and that's caused a lot of backlash since, again, he's essentially portrayed as being Satoshi's main rival this series. I think people would be a lot kinder if he was given the same sense of importance as, say, Kenyan was.
  9. Ben 10's Avatar
    @Wyvernphlare It was a illogical writing move yes. But in universe if BW Ash isn't gonna use any of his past experience and carry himself like a pro then there is no reason to treat him like one. So he can continue losing to rookies and knuckle heads until he stops acting like an incompetent child.

    @Non I agree. Though I should probably add that I never really thought of him as a great rival. Because honestly I would be lying to myself if I said he was a great rival. I viewed him as a decent character that was treated to poorly just because of the writer's questionable writing for his character and because he ended up being involved in a lesser rivalry that would have been better if it happened before DP.

    Honestly regardless who the "main" rival was they would have been bashed badly. The others just had the fortune to not be that particular rival which Trip wasn't fortunate enough to avoid.
  10. The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Trip is a bad character because:

    a) He has little to no personality. What little there is feels like a mix of Gary/Drew/Paul....all of which we've seen before.

    b) He's completely forgettable. Gary and Paul made huge impacts on the seasons they were in, Trip barely appeared and bombed out the first round in the league. It's Ash's worst main rivalry.

    c) Design wise, he looks like a Paul knock-off. They changed his hair a bit but he looks way too similar to Paul. Every other rival has a distinct design.

    d) A rookie prodigy? WTF?

    e) Nobody will even remember him years down the line.
  11. Ben 10's Avatar
    A) He had personality it just wasn't spectacular or wasn't shoved in everyone's face all the time. None of those 3 created the arrogant rival type.

    B) That's what people say now but it won't stop them from bashing him in the next series when Ash gets a better written rival.

    C) Paul looks more like Silver then Trip looks like Paul. To call Trip a Paul rip-off when they barely look alike and claim that others have distinct looks is just ridiculous.

    D) Not all Rookies have to be noobs like most people believe. There are actually people who have a easier time doing things then others. Trip was a genius in the same way that Gary and Paul were geniuses.

    E) People will remember him any time they choose a rival to bash.
  12. SatoshiKun's Avatar
    I have to disagree with you on the rookie part. I'll admit it's possible that Trip studied and/or participated in battles somewhat before his journey. However, I find it completely unrealistic that in the course of 10 episodes, he was able to assemble a team of fairly powerful Pokemon with perfect move sets. It wasn't just that Trip was smart, his Pokemon had insanely good move sets for beginners and were obviously well trained. Also, from the comments he made in that episode, Trip had quite a few Pokemon besides, with at least six of them well trained. Just compare him to other beginners in the series to see the difference. Also, he always went on about how he trained his Pokemon well, which is how he was able to evolve snivy in less than a week. But we never see him train. Apparently, Trip is so good that just being in his party makes you powerful.
  13. Ben 10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SatoshiKun
    I have to disagree with you on the rookie part. I'll admit it's possible that Trip studied and/or participated in battles somewhat before his journey. However, I find it completely unrealistic that in the course of 10 episodes, he was able to assemble a team of fairly powerful Pokemon with perfect move sets. It wasn't just that Trip was smart, his Pokemon had insanely good move sets for beginners and were obviously well trained. Also, from the comments he made in that episode, Trip had quite a few Pokemon besides, with at least six of them well trained. Just compare him to other beginners in the series to see the difference. Also, he always went on about how he trained his Pokemon well, which is how he was able to evolve snivy in less than a week. But we never see him train. Apparently, Trip is so good that just being in his party makes you powerful.
    I get what you mean but we have no idea how many days passed by in those 10 episodes I mean to be honest the length of time between each 10 episodes varies it could have been a week it could have even been a month.
  14. The Outrage's Avatar
    @The Fighting Misty;

    Do you even know what prodigy means? If he wasn't a beginner showing such skill, he wouldn't be a prodigy.

    Not that I like Trip
  15. SatoshiKun's Avatar
    I get what you mean but we have no idea how many days passed by in those 10 episodes I mean to be honest the length of time between each 10 episodes varies it could have been a week it could have even been a month.
    Seeing how little Satoshi progressed, not much I'm guessing. Also, since Dento knew that Shooti had a Servine, he must have evolved it before episode 5 (which can be inferred to be about a week). Also, when has any other character advanced that far in 10 episodes.
  16. Ben 10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SatoshiKun
    Seeing how little Satoshi progressed, not much I'm guessing. Also, since Dento knew that Shooti had a Servine, he must have evolved it before episode 5 (which can be inferred to be about a week). Also, when has any other character advanced that far in 10 episodes.
    Ash evolved his Caterpie twice by Episode 4 the only reason evolution seems to be tougher is because if they rushed all evolutions it would make the series dull to fast. Besides unlike most of the other rookies Trip already knew what he was doing.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: