Trip and Cheren Compare and Contrast (Warning Long)
by, 9th September 2013 at 04:03 PM (364 Views)
I got this idea after seeing all the complaining the fandom does over the rivals. I'm going to compare similar rival characters from the games, anime or mangas. To start it off I'm going to compare Trip and Cheren's game incarnation.
Overviews on Both Characters
1. Cheren (Game)- Cheren as you all know was the male rival character from Black and White. While he shared the rival role with Bianca his role was more battle orientated and thus made him a bigger threat to the player. At first he started out as a intellectual competitive rival who often aided the player despite this he is quite witty along with being a bit judgmental. Throughout his journey he pursues his ideal of strength but despite this his results in battle are somewhat terrible and he begins to question his own strength. After an encounter with the Unova Region Champion Alder he begins to wonder about his goal and why he wanted it. After that encounter with Alder Cheren's attitude begins to change as he begins to accept his loses much easier and starts to loosen up on his strict views on strength. He continued to assist the player but this time with a noticeably calmer attitude and by the end of the game Cheren becomes much less Power obsessed and finally realizes the importance of believing in his own Pokemon. His less strict views are further shown when he becomes a teacher and beginning Gym Leader at the Aspertia City Gym. By then any signs of his past impatience and power obsession have long faded.
2. Trip- Trip is the main rival of the infamous Best Wishes series. He became motivated to become a trainer after being inspired by the Unova Region Champion Alder and began to study intensely to achieve his dream of becoming Champion. He gets a strong start after he constantly clobbering Ash in most of their battles showing a considerable amount of strength along with intellect. Despite being shown to be nearly invincible at first the kinks in his armor are soon exposed in the latter part of the series. Around the start of the Club Battle tournament Trip begins to go through a "downward spiral." At first he simply brushed off his lose but after reuniting with his idol who he soon realizes has become a senile old man he begins to obsess over following his basic path of strength. Despite continuing to gain strength and knowledge his arrogance begins to blind him and as a result his downward spiral continued. By the Junior Cup he became so arrogant that he foolishly looked down on his idol and the Sinnoh Champion Cynthia. After losing to Alder and getting a speech about the true meaning of being a Trainer Trip's attitude takes a change and by the start of the League he becomes noticeably calmer and less arrogant. By his final defeat he seems to become less hard on himself when he loses and even finally abandoned his past arrogance.
1. Both Trip and Cheren started off a stuck up knowledgeable rookies who constantly had the mental edge over most of their peers.
2. Trip's starter that he obtained from Professor Juniper was Snivy while the one his rival Ash got was Oshawott mirroring how Cheren obtained a Snivy if the player character chose an Oshawott.
3. Both trainer's beliefs as trainers resolve solely on obtaining strength and achieving their goals with that strength.
4. Ironically despite their obsessions with strength and overwhelming power in comparison to most of their peers they both lose quite often.
5. In their initial encounters with Alder after becoming trainers both are letdown by Alder's laid back and somewhat unprofessional attitude. As a result of their encounters they both begin to question their goals and begin to take new paths to their goals.
6. Despite their past obsessions with gaining strength ironically both trainers take a lesser route in their later adventures with Trip losing in the preliminary rounds of the Unova League and Cheren becoming a novice Gym Leader over becoming a higher ranking one.
7. Both become much kinder to everyone and grew much closer with their Pokemon after changing their attitudes.
1. Cheren is somewhat kinder and more helpful to the player at the start of his journey and Trip is noticeably much more arrogant and rude towards Ash at the start of his journey. While Trip is usually respectful to his elders and Cheren is slightly rude to his elders.
2. Cheren was constantly defeated by the player character while Trip constantly defeated Ash.
3. Cheren was more accepting of Alder's advice in their first encounter while Trip brushed off the advice and went against it.
4. The player was a major factor in Cheren's development while Alder was a side factor and with Trip, Alder was the main factor in his development while Ash was the side factor.
5. While Trip is usually more aloof and distant Cheren is more helpful and closer associated with his peers.
In all while Trip and Cheren can be considered counterparts they are both also quite different with their goals. If I missed anything just leave a comment. But no bashing on any of them seriously. If anyone has any other requests for rivals to compare and contrast just leave a comment.
Total Trackbacks 0