Pokemon the Series: XY: Trailer 02-- My Thoughts
by, 20th September 2013 at 05:59 PM (2952 Views)
So, it looks like we're coming up on the 5th series of the Pokemon Anime. 16 years of this stuff already, with no end in sight. *sigh*
Right now, my opinions about the XY Series are the following:
[U]What I Like[/U]
- Ash looks a lot more badass than usual in the XY Series.
- Serena seems to know Ash as a childhood friend.
- Serena seems interesting, and it's cool that she is supposedly a stylist.
- Officer Jenny looks much better than she did in BW (thanks to Team Gaara for correcting my stupidity here). Still a bit off, but much better than before.
- The Animation is [I]excellent[/I].
[U]What I'm Neutral About[/U]
- Bonnie. She does look cute, but I'm not particularly excited about her character.
The "wife for Clemont" gag will probably be funny at first, and then get stale fast, like Cilan's food puns and eccentric speech did after a while.
Also, as far as the dub goes, I honestly (no offense intended) think Lisa Ortiz would suck as Bonnie. IMO, please don't cast her there. She works better as a teenage girl or older female (e.g. Lina Inverse). Most of us are already halfway traumatized by 4Kids using her for every Gym Leader or two, and TPCi sparing us for two seasons, and then returning the tradition of overusing her since mid-DP onwards in [I]full[/I] force. Lisa's a good voice actor, but [I]anyone[/I] would get sick of listening to that voice on a daily basis. I'm sorry. Hire someone new, or someone who can actually act well as a little girl, or maybe a real little girl would work, too, dubbers.
- Clemont. Really, he's obviously the Brock or Cilan of the group. The only thing that intrigues me about him is that he's supposedly a sort of inventor, which is sort of neat. His seiyu sounds like the second coming of Dento/Cilan's to me already (I'm sorry, that's what my ears tell me from my initial impression, even though I know it is NOT Mamoru Miyano).
- Giovanni's Businessman Attire. His outfits just keep on getting weaker, though. His Italian Mafia Orange Jumpsuit was KING.
[U]What I Do Not Like[/U]
- Team Rocket's return. As I watch the English dub (as supposedly "terrible" as both dubs are), I will probably have to deal with the usual alliteration show Carter Cathcart has given the characters in English since circa DP Season 1. You know, that juvenile humor that I can't comprehend for some reason. Forgetting the dub, how many years of their same crap do we have to watch? 16 years of blasting off again, and pretty much staying static characters the whole time.
God forbid that after three series of having them as goofs already, BW changed something for the better [I]initially[/I] (prior to Da!), and allowed the group to develop as characters somewhat. Sure, their personalities were non-existent, but at least some progress was being made in their case. Apparently the fandom has a double standard in which Ash regressing is the apocalypse, but when Team Rocket progresses, it's blasphemy. Again, people wonder why the OS characters, including Ash, have become staler than wonderbread these days. One reason for this, is that the writers don't try anything remotely new with them, and it's been the same thing over and over again, right? Why not try something remotely different for a change? Just my two cents.
- Nurse Joy's XY character art/design looks straight up awful.