How Pokemon and Sonic Are Not Compatible
by, 15th November 2012 at 05:39 PM (572 Views)
(This might cause offence to some people. If I did, then I am sorry - I am not targeting anyone on here.)
Since "Sonichu" got so much mention...
I am SICK of the Pokemon/Sonic crossovers that are everywhere. I don't have anything against Sonic (though I admit it's a bit overrated), but I don't get why Sonic and Pokemon have like a million crossovers. I don't think the series are compatible with each other - unless you want a crack crossover. I do realise that crossovers aren't supposed to make sense, but most Pokemon/Sonic crossovers don't even acknowledge the differences between the worlds.
I admit, if the fanfic only features Pokemon and no human characters, then maybe it can work. But the minute someone puts Ash Ketchum in there, it makes no sense and makes me want to bang my head against the wall.
1. Humans are the dominant species in most of the Pokemon world (except for PMD). Animals dominate Sonic's world. People would look weird at a Pokemon that talked. I know that some Pokemon talk in the anime, but that is not the case in the games.
2. While humans have been well-received in Pokemon, they have not in the Sonic series. Chris Thorndyke is almost universally hated. Princess Elise is also very unpopular - and not just among Sonic/Amy shippers, contrary to popular belief. I think a lot of people didn't like the fact that Chris took a lot of the attention away from Sonic. Princess Elise is hated for an even better reason: she is a damsel in distress who is kidnapped repeatedly (three times in one game) and is almost completely dependent on male characters - even Princess Peach is way more empowering than her. Robotnik is an exception, but he's a villain and you're usually fighting him, so I'm not counting him.
3. Pokemon have elemental powers. I can't think of anyone in Sonic that can breathe fire or shoot electricity.
4. Even in the world where Pokemon do dominate (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon), the society is less structured. There are no major cities, and the settlements are organised loosely. Buildings are more primitive and it is more in tune with nature. Sonic has huge cities and complex societies - actually outclassing those in the main series Pokemon games.
5. If you're going to do a Sonic/Pokemon crossover, please leave out that awful cartoon. (You know, the first one, where Tails is brown and Robotnik is a loser)
Total Trackbacks 0