Crack smokin' judges: Your guide to watching Project Runway
by, 21st July 2011 at 06:17 PM (203 Views)
Project Runway's coming back in a week, and you're probably thinking, "Yunabomb, I want to watch this, but I also want to seem smarter than everyone else who watches it. How can I do that?" You're in luck. Let's look at the secrets and quircks of PR that will make you sound more intelligent when talking to your friends about it.
1. Remember it's a reality show: Everything is edited. Keep that in mind. Conversations are altered, lines are added in at convenient times, and personalities are manufactured. Watch PR with an sense of cynicism.
2. Personality matters in judging: The judges consult with producers when making their judging decisions. This happens to keep the show interesting (remember point 1). Boring contestants will be eliminated early and judges will fall all over themselves to praise interesting contestants' outfits. On the first challenge for season 8, McKell Maddox was eliminated despite obviously not having the worst outfit. She simply wasn't cut out for reality TV.
3. Past performance matters, even if the judges don't say so: Contestants who start strong will make it through a large portion of the competition, even if the perform poorly later. Additionally, near the end the judges have to think about who would make the best finalists, causing them to look past the performance on the challenge when judging.
4. Personalities are the product of editing: This is pretty important to remember. This season one contestant was a pageant queen (Miss Trinidad and Tobago Universe 2008) with a leaked sex tape. We will be hearing so many sound bytes added in about her pageant success (not sure about the sex tape), even if she didn't mention it that much. That's one way of creating a personality.
Remember that editing changes everything. In the last season, Michael Costello was portrayed as this innocent person victimized by the mean scary designers. In an interview, Peach Carr, after being informed of a tweet stating that Michael was a "d-bag", she gave a different perspective from what we saw on television. She stated that Michael told them that he was there so he could get his own show, was very rude, was an ungracious challenge winner, and wasn't the victim that he was made out to be.
5. More than three collections debut at Fashion Week: In order to keep the finalists secret, all of the collections of the remaining designers during Fashion Week are shown. Originally there were four or five were shown, but due to how early Lifetime starts taping, now around 8-10 are shown. You can find all the collections online after they debut. Try to guess who made it into the final.
6. Everyone's a good designer: Anyone who got on the show can design, but not everyone can adapt to the Project Runway format.
7. The judges have to play it up for the camera: Critiques have to be entertaining. Remember this next time Michael Kors says, "Look at those pants! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LAMO ROFLCOPTER!!!!!"
8. The judges are smoking crack: Tim Gunn says so. Remember that when you find a judging decision appalling and can't use the past points to explain the decision.
Total Trackbacks 0