An idea: A set of items that would help mono-typed Pokemon
by, 13th October 2010 at 10:51 AM (906 Views)
I think it would be interesting if there are items that will give mono-typed Pokemon a secondary type, which will only work on them, but does nothing on dual-types or mono-types with the same type as the item. That means, say, you give Pinsir a Fighting Armour, a made-up item that gives a mono-type holder a secondary Fighting-type. This way, Pinsir has STAB in his Fighting moves and is not as wary of Stealth Rock. Or, you can give him the Earth Armour, another made-up item that gives the holder a secondary Ground-type, allowing Pinsir to combine his Mold Breaker and Earthquake to hurt levitators and evade the atrocious Thunder Wave at the same time. But Pinsir cannot benefit from the Insect Armour then. It may seem that it would make the Pokemon more obscenely powerful, but because only one item can be held at once, they are forgoing their Leftovers or Choice items for a secondary type, similar to the Pre-evolution stone's great defence capabilities at the cost of holding a "real" item.
Here are a list of type-changing items and how I think might be useful:
- Clear Armour (Gives Normal): Initially I don't want to include this one, because I didn't think it might be interesting to have. Well, an extra Normal-type would give universal Normal moves like Facade and Return STAB, which is always useful. Perhaps the Ghost immunity is an even better deal, especially for Psychic and Ghost types. Types weak to Normal needs to watch out, though!
- Fire Armour (Gives Fire): Fire does provide some nasty weaknesses, but Fire STAB is good to have, due to its versatility with another type. Some Chlorophyll Pokemon would like their Fire STAB, like Bellossom, or Cherrim would like this item to boost her Fire attacks in Sun while she takes advantage of Nature Gift (I think that's what the ability is called). Ononokusu or Kurimugun would like it too only if they have a goof Fire attack to use it with, but they don't. Oh well.
- Aqua Armour (Gives Water): The Water-type is one of the best defensively, and can cover up some of the greatest weaknesses of certain types. Grass enjoys the neutral Fire and Ice, Ground enjoys the Water and Ice neutrality, Steel enjoys the Fire neutrality and so forth. I can only see Tangrowth taking advantage of this item, though...
- Static Armour (Gives Electric): With only one weakness (Ground) and three resistances, I can see only the Bug and Grass types making use of this item, because they resisted Ground already, and their Flying weakness is cured. I can see Gigigear using it to some extent, due to it learning Electric attacks, but his Special Attack is relatively low. Weezing may have a use for it, since he is able to acquire more resistances and STAB Thunderbolt, and still don't acquire that Ground weakness.
- Leaf Armour (Gives Grass): Grass provides great resistances, but the weakness can be a pain to have, especially Fire and Ice. Fire-types and Water-types in general would love this, because some of their main weaknesses are cleared, which are Water and Ground for Fire, and Electric and Grass for Water, and they don't need to worry about Fire and Ice since they resisted it in the first place. Possibilities include, but not limited to: Blastoise and Vaporeon might be able to make use of the defensive capabilities of the Grass type, Sudowoodo would enjoy STAB Wood Hammers, Gigaiasu might be able to withstand different attacks with it.
- Insect Armour (Gives Bug): One of the good things about the Bug type is resistance to Fighting and Ground, but the bad thing about it are the Fire and Rock weaknesses. I don't see much use for the item, because there wouldn't be any Pokemon who wants the Rock weakness, unless they resist it in the first place. That said, I can see pure Steel types using this armour, because two of their weaknesses are removed.
- Ice Armour (Gives Ice): Ice is a very cursed defensive typing, even though they are granted an immunity to Hail damage and Ice attacks get STAB. I don't think there would be any Pokemon who would want to use this item, unless they just want to get the essential Ice STAB.
- Psy Armour (Gives Psychic): I don't think Psychic's an entirely bad type, but it's just that it doesn't resist a lot, and one of the resistances is themselves. STAB Psychic can be handy, but might not be as useful the way the competitive scene sees it. If there's a Ghost Armour, any mono-type Pokemon will definitely use it over this one, though...
- Dark Armour (Gives Dark): While the Psychic immunity is nice to have, the most important quality of the type is the resistance to Dark moves, and this is what the Psychic-types and Ghost-types are looking for. While the Psychics had to deal with the unfortunate quad Bug weakness, the Ghosts would have no weaknesses, especially useful for defensive Ghosts like Desukaan. Fighting gains useful STAB coverage (nice for Machamp), while Poison avoids one more weakness, meaning Weezing has no weaknesses with this item.
- Fight Armour (Gives Fighting): Fighting provides a lot defensively and offensively. It is one of the best offensive types and good defensively, thanks to resisting the essential elements that would give other Pokemon trouble, like U-turn for Psychics and Darks, Stealth Rock for Flying (only Torunerosu), Fire, Bug and Ice, and Pursuit for Ghosts and Psyshics. This would be useful for the types mentioned, especially Ghosts, who would love to be able to escape relatively unharmed by Pursuit while giving them awesome coverage, which is the case for Dusknoir and Mismagius for example. Offensive-minded Pokemon like Pinsir and Feraligatr might benefit from the extra type due to resistance to Stealth Rock and great extra STAB.
- Dragon Armour (Gives Dragon): Dragon is renowned as one of the best types to have offensively, due to how few Pokemon resist their strong attacks. The only Pokemon that I can see this item benefitting are those with a Dragon move to abuse, because that's what the item can do. The only Pokemon that I can see using this item is Sceptile, because he has some interesting Dragon attacks, and would likely appreciate the STAB boost. Snorlax might be a contender as well, because he's extremely bulky, and Dragon moves coming from him would hurt (even though he would rather take his precious Leftovers anyway). Water Pokemon would likely want this item, probably Mamanbou, due to the fact that it clears their weakness, and only add a single one.
- Venom Armour (Gives Poison): Poison is actually a good defensive type, especially with the ability to resist Fighting moves, and the ability to avoid Poison and absorb Toxic Spikes are great. This would be useful on Jaroda, because he doesn't need to worry about Poison and will gain a useful secondary type in return. Actually, Rapid Spinners in general would love this ability because they have one less hazard to worry about, like Donphan and Blastoise.
- Flight Armour (Gives Flying): You may think that we have the Balloon item, so this one's not necessary, but while the Ground immunity is nice, Flying returns a few extra weaknesses. However, this would probably be one of the used type items if it would be used. Seeing a Registeel with it can be pretty scary, since it is now much more defensive than Skarmory, but he still has not much recovery.
- Stone Armour (Gives Rock): Rock provides a great type for offense, so if a Pokemon is in need of offensive coverage, they can always rely on gaining a Rock-type. Also, the ability to get that essential Special Defence boost in Sandstorm is welcomed. Tangrowth would definitely enjoy having it, seeing that his Special Defence is not the greatest, and would make him a great wall. Weezing might also make use of this extra type, since he would also get a Special Defence buff, and the best part is that he's still immune to Earthquake, but Fighting moves will not fare well for him...not to mention the need to use Pain Split for recovery.
- Earth Armour (Gives Ground): One of the perks of Ground is the Electric immunity, and as such, a Thunder Wave immunity as well. Any bulky Water Pokemon or Flying type (Torunerosu only) would love to have that immunity, but they have another weakness to worry about, though! Milotic would definitely see use of this item, due to her already awesome defensive capabilities.
- Ghost Armour (Gives Ghost): Ghost is one of the best defensive types in the game, sporting two immunities. As such, I can see this item as one of the items that any Pokemon would love to have, because this would patch up any Fighting weaknesses a Pokemon might have. Normal and Dark types would especially prefer this item, and Blissey might even be harder to deal with if such an item exists (Special Wall + Spin Blocker)! Fighting types would like some needed STAB coverage, although I don't think any pure Fighting types get a Ghost move. It might be preferred over the Psy Armour, I am afraid.
- Metal Armour (Gives Steel): Steel is another one of the best defensive types to have in the game, as they have many resistances. Because of that, I can see many Pokemon wanting to use this item, since it can help out any defensive Pokemon. Only Rock types would likely avoid this one, though... This means that any wall with a pure type like Tangrowth, Weezing (Levitate, remember?) and Desukaan would benefit from the awesome Steel add-on, but still, Magnezone would be giving them a hard time if they are still on that metal armour! Let's not forget that ever-useful Poison immunity...
I can actually see these items existing in a future Pokemon game, because this would be a nice change to competitive battling, and this makes mono-types proud to be able to choose their own secondary type. Here's hoping Generation 6 hands these out!
What kind of possibilities would be expected if such items exist in Pokemon? Feel free to speak out, I would love to hear it!
Thanks for reading.
Total Trackbacks 0