BW Fan Opinion Chronicles: BW 051 - BW 055
by, 4th February 2012 at 07:10 AM (5129 Views)
“Post-Nimbasa Gym Enjoyment”
Instead of publishing the articles in chronological order, I decided to skip over the Club Battle arc for now in favour of chronicling the following episodes. Since I heard that the readers generally don’t really read all the opinions in a long list like I did before, I decided that it will be shortened so that readability will hopefully improve. From now on, the tiny bits of trivial opinions that I usually do will be a lot rarer, so if you like those, sorry to say that I will be omitting them from this point forth (the Club Battle article will be an exception). This time, I ask that you provide me feedback with the changes, as this is more of a testing ground which will influence how the Fan Opinion Chronicles will look in the future.
Lost at the Stamp Rally!
● Overall: The episode has some good points and some bad points. The main good points are Cilan and the sightseeing events, and the main bad points are the crammed elements in this episode and the brevity of the battle. The hype sparked by the title of this episode was met with disappointment. As a whole, the episode is alright, if not somewhat disappointing.
● Many: The sightseeing scenes of the episode felt refreshing and great because it showed off the attractions of Nimbasa City and the little details around there.
● Ample: Criticise the title of this episode ("Satoshi, Dent VS Subway Masters!") for being misleading, as it didn't summarise the events of this episode well. A fan believes that the English version will rectify this with a more appropriate title.
● Some: Felt too much was crammed into this episode, due to three different plots being squeezed into it. The quality of all the sub-plots suffered as a result. It would be great if a part of the episode is more focused on, like the Musical or the Subway battle.
● The Pokémon Musical, as portrayed in this episode, is not as great as it could have been, because it was too short and not much happened. Still, it's alright for certain fans. A few expected it to be this way since the Musicals in this game are also not eventful.
● The battle between Ash & Cilan and Ingo & Emmet is either alright or dull to many. A few find it good. One fan expected the battle to be short. The alright quality of the battle was expected because so far many of BW's battles are like this. One fan even says that Johto's battles are more interesting than this one.
● Erina is generally considered a dull Character of the Day (CotD) because she didn't have much personality, although she looked great.
● Few: The tennis segment is an eye-catching scene.
● One: Disappointed that there aren't any Elesa billboards or advertisements even though she's a popular and prominent model.
● Few: The interaction between Ash and Iris was great, as was their adventure through Nimbasa City.
● Tsutarja: "There was also the Iris and Ash having fun in the city part which I liked seeing. It showed us that Iris and Ash are capable of hanging out just as regular friends with no arguments or whatsoever. The plot elements of this episode weren't well connected and while I liked certain moments of the episode - the episode as whole didn't bring much. For example, they could have cut out the Cilan scenes and simply had Ash, Iris and Cilan lazing around the city which I'm sure would be highly entertaining due to the enjoyable trio chemistry we're having in BW". [Writer's note: This opinion was sent by PM, so it's not possible for it to be cross-referenced.]
● There was a picture where Iris and Cilan wore costumes and danced on stage during a musical. A few were disappointed that this scene didn't appear at all.
● One: Dislikes that Iris was dull in addition to showing that she already has what it takes to be a Dragon Master. To this fan, "this episode highlighted the tendency the writers have show to derail episodes into Iris episodes". He believes that the episode could've been better if it focused more on Satoshi and Dento [Cilan].
● Cilan is generally praised because of his fabulous enthusiasm, humorous and entertaining actions and for the great show he put in the battle.
● Hellion: "I also like that it allowed us to see some progress when it came to the reason Dent is traveling with Satoshi. Dent chose Yanappu despite knowing that both his other Pokémon were better choices type wise, but he went with Yanappu, his vintage, with whom he has the best bond, subtly picking up on the point made by the episode last week and highlighting that he's trying to incorporate more of Satoshi's style into his own".
Ash Versus the Champion!
● Overall: This is a great episode mainly because Alder is a fun character. Besides that, the Pokémon have personality and the episode as a whole is funny. The general opinion on Trip is slightly better because of his dissatisfaction with Alder, although his rivalry with Ash is still not captivating.
● Two: The plot of a Pokémon rampaging due to an injury (as was the case with Pokabu [Tepig] and Crimgan [Druddigon] before) has been done before multiple times, and wished that the cause of the rampage was different.
● Some: The battle between Ash and Alder is entertaining.
● Few: Alder seems like an older Ash, so it's not surprising if Ash will be like him when he grows up, assuming he gets that far in terms of age.
● Trip is mildly more interesting than before because of his dissatisfaction and subtle breakdown upon discovering his idol isn't the same as his memory of him. His idolising of Alder is entertaining to some. However, overall he is still considered unimpressive, because his rivalry with Ash hadn't progressed much. One fan mentions that it's not a complete waste because it showed Trip's faults (blind hero worship and an overzealous lust for power), and believes that once Ash shared what he learned from Alder with Trip, he might become even more taken aback and a mutual tension between them will finally form.
● Few: The consequence of Trip's attitude after being disappointed with Alder's actions, like his battling style, would be interesting to see. A fan mentions that Trip's personality and goal to surpass the Champion have been justified by his reactions to Alder.
● Three: Dislike that Shooti's [Trip] rivalry with Satoshi remained stagnant and is still shallow.
● Two: Get the feeling that Trip's story is basically the same as Cheren's, a trainer who believes that strength is the only way to go.
● Most: Alder is highly praised for being refreshing as a Champion, as he is humorous (like his flirting), entertaining (like in his scenes with Jenny and his gluttony) and fun-loving while still being philosophical. As a fan put: he "doesn't take battling as seriously as he takes relationships with Pokémon, which some people who aren't into competitive battling can really relate to". Some say that he is a more entertaining Champion than Cynthia for being different and more relatable.
● Two: Felt that Alder's mispronounced name would be funnier if it weren't for the gag being overused on Kenyan [Stephan].
● Aestivate: "I loved how Adeku was really trying to tap into "purpose" and what exactly what a person wants to do with their goal. Asking the kids what they wanted to do with themselves after they achieved their goals was very, very insightful. It's something I haven't ever seen before from the anime, and would like to continue to see. You need to understand the dialogue to really, really get the full effect of the episode... I would be back in the camp of Best Wishes if it continues to explore the meaning behind a character's "road"."
● One: Because Alder mispronounced Shooti's name as "Shooter", the dub should call him "Tripe" instead of Trip. He is confounded to find out that the mispronounced name is "Tristan" instead.
● Some: Alder's Bouffalant is cute and has an entertaining personality. A fan says that "Alder's absent-minded and carefree personality was only able to work here because he was given such a serious and battle-oriented Pokémon to work with".
A Maractus Musical!
● Overall: The episode is mediocre, because the plot is run-of-the-mill (Character of the Day needs help, encounter a wild Pokémon and gain his Pokémon's trust). Despite this, the episode is still watchable because the concept of the plot is executed well, and some interesting parts came out of it, like the scenes involving Maractus and the group showing off their rhythm in the beginning.
● The first episode with Triple Battles leaves a lot to be desired. It ended halfway when the battle got exciting, there is too much going on in the episode, and the idea of the Pokémon remaining in position is incomprehensible. For what little time it had, the battle managed to be exciting. There should be an episode dedicated to a better Triple Battle in the future.
● Ash and friend's Pokémon are generally enjoyable to watch, but one fan considers Emonga [Emolga], Kibago [Axew] and Mijumaru [Oshawott] to be bad, while Yanappu [Pansage] and Pikachu fared better.
● The girl singing the Best Wishes theme song on-stage is unexpected, and it felt weird. Generally fans disliked this. A fan is worried how the song will be dubbed. He fears that it will be a meaningless song like with Barry in the Twinleaf Festival.
● The Maractus are beyond adorable. The Maractus with the scarf is viewed to be the best of the three, as it is endearing (the other two are dull). A fan believes that the smaller Maractus could have been given its fear of heights if Ash brought Tranquill to help it overcome the fear. What actually happened next caused him/her to shrug confusingly.
● Three: It's dull seeing Scolipede as the antagonist Pokémon again. A fan compares it to Ringuma [Ursaring] and believes that other Pokémon can be used for the job. Another thinks that Scolipede is the Beedrill of Unova.
● Gliscor'd: "I swear, its like the writers purposely sabotage all the sidequests from the games like the Pokeathlon and Musical so they wouldn't become a replacement for Contests. I guess this really proves that no matter what happens in the anime, there will probably never be any other sidequest that gets as much screentime as Contests ever did. The Pokeathlon was a bust, the Musical was a bust, the Pokémon Ranger stuff just gets one or two eps each time, the Battle Frontier of Johto/Sinnoh was skipped". [Writer's note: This comment is linked to two different posts.]
The Four Seasons of Sawsbuck!
● Overall: An enjoyable episode to a few, despite many saying that this episode is boring. Thanks to Yamaguchi Kappei's voice acting and the Character of the Day he voiced, it is not bad.
● Few: The non-Unova Pokémon like Combee and Skorupi making cameo appearances (in pictures) brings them great joy, especially because Ash seem to recognise those Pokémon.
● Few: It's a joy to see Ash having fun with his Pikachu in the beginning.
● Three: Disliked how Ash ditched his companions. An explanation for this is that he can be reckless at times and ignore what’s going on around him if he’s focused on something, especially when there's a Pokémon involved.
● One: Because of the indication of time moving forward, she hopes that Ash will be 11 by the end of the season. She had a hard time accepting characters that don’t age despite the flowing time.
● Dogasu: Great to know that the writers remembered to have Isshu [Unova] people surprised to see a Pikachu.
● Some: The hearty interaction between Iris and Cilan is funny ("Don't tell me...you're a Picture Sommelier or something, right?" "Nope!").
● Fans praise Robert for being a great Character of the Day (CotD). He was earnest, endearing and entertaining. A couple of fans care for Robert even though he's a temporary character. One cares because his voice actor did an amazing job. To a few, it is a downer when he couldn’t take the picture he wanted.
● Fans instantly recognised Yamaguchi Kappei's as Robert. His performance is generally pleasing. Fans of this seiyuu (Japanese voice actor) are overjoyed. Dogasu definitely heard Usopp of One Piece fame in his voice.
● Few: Todd Snap would be better for the role of the photographer instead of Robert, as both characters have curly hair and share the same seiyuu. This would have made for a bit of continuity and the episode would have felt a little less like a filler.
● Two: Notice that Robert's height and age were inconsistent throughout the episode. A fan is convinced that the animation director had changed in the middle of the episode, since his height was the same at the second half of the episode.
● One: Suggests that Robert is a Doctor from Doctor Who because he travelled through time to allow his grandfather to take a special picture.
Scraggy and the Demanding Gothita!
● Overall: A good episode. It has some nice scenes, the battles are good and the Pokémon made the episode, particularly Axew, Scraggy, Gothita and Snivy. The brotherliness of the first two especially stands out. One of the better filler episodes.
● Scraggy continues to shine because of his obliviousness and fighting spirit, while also having a friendlier side. A fan said that he "fits Satoshi so much it's not even funny".
● One: Finds it ironic that even though the episode focuses on Scraggy and Axew's relationship, they were not used in the wager during Ash and Katharine's battle. He believes that the writers felt that either isn’t strong enough for a real battle.
● Most: Snivy is awesome for her attitude, sisterly instincts, bossiness and audacity, like the way she sat on the rock while Ash and Katharine were battling, and giving Gothita a punishment it will never forget.
● Many: Like that Tepig and Snivy chalked up some victories against Mandibuzz and Gothita respectively, especially Tepig. [Proofreader’s Note: I suggest "chalked up" here because I've noticed in these articles the fans pay close attention to the amount of wins these two get, especially Tepig because of its poor track record.]
● Ample: Disappointed that Tranquill didn't get enough screen time. She could have been eating with the other Pokémon in the beginning, or participating in battle.
● Two: Felt that Oshawott was unnecessarily included in this episode. A fan even points out that the starters, as mascots, are "just as intrusive and space wasting as ever". Another fan jokes that this is done to reference Dane Cook bit about "that one person in every group of friends that nobody likes" and to make the other starters look good in comparison.
● Axew is the star of this episode, and is one of the best parts of it, thanks to his dream and interactions with Scraggy. A few consider Axew redeemed. The scenes between Axew and Scraggy felt like they're overly-brotherly in nature. A fan would love to see them continue on with this "bromance" as a Haxorus and a Scrafty respectively.
● Katharine is a good Character of the Day. She is amusing, like when she snuck away from Cilan during his ramblings and when she persuaded Ash to battle her. A fan felt that Katharine's potential had been wasted because she had very little backbone and followed her Gothita's orders to the very end. Some fans dislike her Gothita for being spoiled and annoying.
● Ample: Like how the Gothita and Garbodor scene is a shout-out to a scene from My Neighbour Totoro.
● Three: Would love to see Gothita and Katharine appear again. A fan would love seeing Snivy mess around with Gothita. Katharine could possibly appear again at the League because she has two Gym badges.
● Ampharos King: "Gothita is arguably the most emotional Pokémon that has ever belonged to a member outside the main cast. She was very spoiled and wanted things to happen her way. Gothita was very tempermental, much like how Piplup was back in DP; and just like Piplup, she took a fair amount of abuse from other Pokémon's attacks just for the sake of comic relief. I can see why Gothita belonged to a COTD; she would have never been able to get her way with the members of the main cast. Iris especially, but even Ash and Cilan have bigger backbones than [Katharine] ever did."
That’s it for the episodes. Not much to say here, but I hope you enjoyed reading these as much as I have writing them (and some feedback on the new format would be nice).
Thanks for reading.
Special Thanks to: @Meron, @Karamazov & @Kakuna Matata
Total Trackbacks 0