XY Anime: Current Opinion
by, 20th July 2014 at 08:30 AM (1909 Views)
I haven't posted here in a while, so I figured why not?
Here's my current opinion on XY:
It's nothing special.
- Ash is more competent and yet at the same time he gets over-glorified at certain points. It's always up to Ash to save the day, never to Serena, Clemont or Bonnie. I enjoy his regained competence but it almost feels like writers are trying to make up for Best Wishes and it's painfully obvious. Plus, the entire group revolves around Ash, Ash is always admired, a girl has a crush on him, he's basically your ideal hero.
- Serena sucks. I like Serena, but the harsh truth is that she sucks. She hasn't battled a single trainer properly, she rarely does anything, she is passive all the time and even her shipping lacks the substantial hints. She's poorly written in all aspects, one can only hope she was more like Iris despite being widely hated in these forums, because Iris actually did stuff, was competent, didn't rely on others and more importantly, she battled and was an actual Pokemon trainer. One of the things she has going for her is her sisterly bond with Bonnie which quite frankly adorable because the two have great chemistry.
- Clemont is one of the best characters in XY. His character arc started slowly to come along at the beginning of XY but recently his focus has faded and has been replaced by some more Ash focus. (because who doesn't want that?) Plus, he almost never uses Bunnelby anymore. I am sick and tired of Chespin being used, I want some Bunnelby.
- Bonnie is one of the best, if not the best character in XY. She's cute, endearing and childish, but not at all annoying and has shown that she can be mature and patient and that she knows when to let go. I eagerly look forward to her next episode since her episodes are always so mature despite featuring the youngest members of the main cast.
- Team Rocket is ... Team Rocket? I don't really care about them. I just want them to go away. Either that or do something significant, like making Jessie a coordinator during DP.
- So far, XY has done a really good job in portraying the gym leaders. Viola and Grant whom I originally found bland were made interesting and I enjoyed their presence. Even Korrina was given a lot of focus, maybe too much for my taste (the entire arc was dreadful imo), but she was also developed nicely and established as a proper character.
My main problem with XY is that it does nothing to stand out. It follows the same old basic formula. It's basically a half-assed DP. We have a competent Ash again, but his focus comes at the expense of focus for other main characters.
We have a Serena, who never battles, rarely gets any meaningful focus and is simply just there.
We have no supporting characters aside from Sycamore and we have no absolutely no rivals.
We have no Team Flare (yet, anyway) and basically, this show lacks conflict.
Conflict makes a series interesting, and XY has none of it. Everything is fine and dandy, the main cast gets along super well which can get a bit tedious and annoying and everyone is always super nice. There are no rivals, but simply a bunch of characters of the day. Clemont's character arc has taken a backseat, Serena and Bonnie have no characters arc and everything revolves around Ash.
Overall, XY is okay but it doesn't make me excited like Best Wishes once did. I hope the return of Malamar (if it ever returns) and Team Flare make this show interesting because XY is in desperate need of some conflict between characters.
Total Trackbacks 0