Best Wishes Season 2: Episode 17 Review: Iris VS Drayden
by, 10th November 2012 at 02:40 PM (3075 Views)
Iris clashes with Drayden ... and the result is surprisingly underwhelming. While the first half of this episode fares much better than the second one in terms of development, the conclusion of the very episode ends on a satisfying note. Although I'm sure Iris will receive even more development in the inevitable "filler" arc, I'm happy that we have reached full circle and finally found out everything there is to know about Iris, all the way up to the point when she received her Axew.
Like always, I'm starting off with good points:
- I found myself even more connected to Iris's character as we found out (in the first half of the episode) that her life wasn't exactly all nice and happy while she was studying at Drayden's school. She found it hard to adapt to new environment and being a wild child like she is, she didn't manage to find any friends. She solely relied on memories (and pictures) of her true friends from the Village of Dragons. Seeing young Iris struggling, I couldn't help but to feel bad for her. I sympathized with Iris in a way that I never did before, because I can very well relate to her issues in school, particularly, not being able to find friends because she was different than them. Her backstory pretty much made for one strong half of the episode.
- Iris losing. Yeah, she has grown, but she has yet to reach the point where she can triumph over Drayden, a true dragon master who has way more experience than she does. Dragonite losing was sweet and Excadrill getting a tie was also pretty much perfect. I especially loved the bit when Haxorus used Rock Smash (like it did in its first battle against Excadrill) and Iris countered with Focus Blast. I'm so happy they remembered it since it was basically the whole purpose behind Excadrill learning that move.
- Iris possibly becoming a gym leader. It may have been a predictable outcome, but it was a satisfying one. And it makes sense which is all that matters.
- Like I already said, the second half of the episode - the battle - was underwhelming. I hoped that Excadrill would be used second so I was unpleasantly surprised to see him used first. The battle was also short and although I'm happy they remembered Focus Blast, I'm sad that the long-awaited clash was so ... anti-climatic. While Dragonite VS Druddigon was much better, I still think it wouldn't have hurt if they made this a three-parter. That way we could have got a nice, lengthy battle. :D
- Opelucid city was ... plain. I am disappointed. I wish they stuck to one version at least, but completely ignoring both of them made me sad. :(
Overall, this was a good and satisfying Iris episode. Her main story arc is over (I think) and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next arc will have in store for her. :)
Total Trackbacks 0