I had the chance to try out one of my ideas in my article that I wrote for Bulba news. Found here: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Can_Pok%C3%A9mon_be_educational%3F
On Thursday, I taught Acrostic Poems to my 5th graders. I told them to write about something that they really love, or one of their favorite hobbies. One of my students wrote about Pokémon. Here is his poem:
Kind of Awesome!
I might as well follow the trend...
1) My first ship was Mulder/Scully (X-Files)
2) My newest ship is Giima/Shikimi (Pokémon)
3) I used to ship Sawyer/Kate, but I don't anymore. (Lost)
4) I never used to ship Lt.Surge/Koga but it grew on me (Pokémon)
5) Everyone I know ships (varies)
6) I feel like nobody but me ships Gary/Dawn. (Pokemon)
7) I don't understand why anyone would ship Kurt/Bully kid who looks
So, today at fieldwork (I am an education major so I have to participate in fieldwork which is about 60 hours in the classroom), and I had a funny conversation with a First Grader today. It went like this:
Me: So, what TV shows do you watch?
First Grader: I like Dragon ball Z
Me: That’s great. Dragon ball Z is an anime. Do you know what an anime is?
First Grader: Yes, I watch anime
Me: Do you watch pokemon?
First Grader: I like that show too!