You are not the target audience. - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums

View RSS Feed

Evil Figment

You are not the target audience.

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
by , 4th June 2012 at 03:29 PM (3161 Views)
I have to admit, I have a problem with internet fandoms. (And it's not exclusive to pokémon)

It's the general sense of entitlement fans seems to come up with at the drop of a hat. It's found in just about every fandom, and it,s ridiculous.

In short, the idea seems to go like this: "We are fans of the show, and the show wouldn't be as popular without us, therefore it's an insult/attack for the creators to take the show in different directions from what we want!"

It's bollocks.

1)A show doesn't survive on its internet fandom.

There are a few thousand active members on Bulbagarden forums. Numbers vary, but this seems about average for a discussion forum. Even putting all the major forums together, and assuming none of their active members overlap, we might not even reach the five digits. Even if we do, these numbers include a lot of people not into the anime - game fans, etc.

You don't build a show by appealing to a few thousand people. In fact, a show built to appeal to only a few thousand specific people, is going to be a dead show pretty fast, because it won't have the numbers to justify the money being sunk into producing it.

All the more so given that...

2)The internet audience is NOT representative of the overall audience.

Harsh, but true. The internet audience (especially on forums) grossly oversamples certain demographic group (call it...teenagers and young adults, introverted, prone to obsessive fascination with a show). And, of course, it grossly oversamples the "obsessing over the show" demographic, because the people who simply like the show, without being obsessed about it, aren't going to be joining online discussion forums - they'll just tune it once a week, watch their show, maybe buy a few items of merchandise.

At the end fo the day, because of the sheer number balance, it's also that second group that's going to be responsible for the success or failure of the show.

This is especially true for cases where...

3)The internet fandom is completely outside the target audience

And yes, pokémon is one of them. Pokémon aims (per ShoPro's webpage) at preschool to elementary school age kids. (My Little Pony aims even lower).

If you are outside the show's target audience, you have no right to expect the show to be made according to what you'd like to see. Period. Complaining that the writers are "pissing in your face" or similar when the problem is that you're outside the target audience altogether is in no way, frm or shape justifiable; it's self-centered to the point of idiocy.

Oh, maybe you'll get the passing nod here and there (or every other scene, as in some episodes of Friendship is Magic), but the show's plots, characters and level of continuity are going to be made with the target audience in mind, not you. Continuity will be kept to what can easily be explained within the episode (eg, either in the "Previously on..." segment, or directly referenced during the discussion), or to throw-away gags that don't impact the plot. Characters, rather than growing and evolving, will tend to revert back to their default self more often than not. Not because the writers don't care, but because the character was created the way they were in order to fill a certain role in the show's formula.

If they stop filling that role, the show's formula doesn't work anymore, and since the show's formula is what sold it to begin with, the writers are not going to want to do that without a damn good reason. A damn good reason would be flagging numbers. Not "internet fandom outside the target audience upset".

Bottom line here: accept the show for what it is. Don't expect the writers to change target audience to YOU, because that's not going to happen. Ever. You can still, of course, criticize specific elements of the show; writers are not perfect. But never forget who the target audience is, and never delude yourself in thinking the target audience could (or should) be you instead.

Submit "You are not the target audience." to Digg Submit "You are not the target audience." to del.icio.us Submit "You are not the target audience." to StumbleUpon Submit "You are not the target audience." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Mijzelffan's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    "We are fans of the show, and the show wouldn't be as popular without us"
    And even that depends on wether you actually watch the show on tv or not. If you don't you won't be added to the ratings, and tv networks generally only care about what raises money (more people watching commercials on tv). So even if you are the target audience, the networks couldn't care less about you if you don't watch it on tv along with the commercials. (Community has that problem, it's very popular with its target audience but most of them watch online, meaning the ratings are bad and NBC not being very fond of it.)
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
  2. Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Uuum just because its for kids doesn't mean it gets to suck AND Pokemon is a NINTENDO franchise. And Nintendo was dependent on there die hard fans for the gamecube era and abandoning them during the Wii cost them some doh. Nintendo is aloud to take risks because of all the die hard fans if there weren't some many Nintendo fan boys the wii wouldn't get made so that proves the are aware. I even heard Yahtzee professional game reviewer say "Unlike their entire fucking demographic I didn't grow up with Nintendo"

    Avatar is newer and Y7 yet does a fantastic job pleasing older audiences. So why isn't it sensible to get mad when an old giant doesn't the same. If it wasn't good then they wouldn't have die hard fans so it should continue be good. Further more Pokemon is Y7 so that would make the minimum age of demographic 7.

    Also everything I want is something that a kid would want and further more I WANTED AS A KID. Less filler, less non combat/league based plots and roles, more exciting battles, faster based battle that make more sense, Ash not to be a goody two shoes with no personality, Iris to stop being so mean etc. etc. Superhero comics are not for kids anymore so this isn't nearly as idiotic as you claim
    Madame Pika likes this.
  3. Musashi's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare
    Uuum just because its for kids doesn't mean it gets to suck
    Not everyone thinks the show sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare
    Avatar is newer and Y7 yet does a fantastic job pleasing older audiences. So why isn't it sensible to get mad when an old giant doesn't the same.
    Because Avatar is an American show and Pokemon is a Japanese show.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare
    If it wasn't good then they wouldn't have die hard fans so it should continue be good.
    A lot of people think the show IS still good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare
    Further more Pokemon is Y7 so that would make the minimum age of demographic 7.
    Just because it's rated that in America doesn't mean it's rated that in Japan. America is just more strict about what content is ok for children.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare
    Also everything I want is something that a kid would want and further more I WANTED AS A KID.
    Not every kid is you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare
    Superhero comics are not for kids anymore so this isn't nearly as idiotic as you claim
    Again, American franchise. Pokemon is Japanese, not American. They do things very differently over there.
  4. Evil Figment's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Uuum just because its for kids doesn't mean it gets to suck
    No; but it means you don't get to complain about it not being made for you.

    And Nintendo was dependent on there die hard fans for the gamecube era
    And the GameCube is proof of how making something that appeal only to your die-hard fans is a moronic plan: it sold the least of any Nintendo console, outside 3-to-1 by the NES, 5-2 by the SNEs, 3-2 by the N64, and nearly 5-1 by the Wii.

    Yes, it can save your ass in the short term. But it won't save you in the long term.

    More to the point, the internet crowd isn't even representative of the die-hard fans. It's a sub-set of die hard fans, usually the most negative, most demanding ones. (The ones that are less demandign are usually actually playing their games on the Cube, and shrugging off the ones they don't like).

    Avatar is newer and Y7 yet does a fantastic job pleasing older audiences.
    The american rating of pokemon is not relevant to its target audience; pokemon is made in Japan. Shopro, the makers, say "Preschool and elementary school".

    Less filler, less non combat/league based plots and roles, more exciting battles, faster based battle that make more sense, Ash not to be a goody two shoes with no personality, Iris to stop being so mean etc. etc.
    so fundamentally, you want a completely different show.

    Why do you expect pokemon to be that show, when it has never shown any sign of being any of these things?

    I'm all for suggesting reasonable improvement, but none of your suggestion is reasonable. Less filler, less non-combat/non-leagues plots and roles, but faster battles? How long exactly is that show supposed to last? A few capture episodes, eight gym battle (fast, so presumably one episodes, perhaps a few two-parters), without unexpected plot twists (battles have to make sense)...you're looking at, what, one season per league (and I'm incredibly generous)? If that's your expectations, you will be disappointed, and you will have no right to be because your expectation will be completely unrealistic.

    Add to that, a lot of your suggestions are against the very nature of the show. Ash IS a goody two shoes. Expecting these to change is, once again, unrealistic.

    That's what my whole rant boil down to. People build themselves unrealistic expectations out of the show (that is, expectations that run against what the show has always been, or that put unrealistic demands on the series), and then complain when they're not met.

    Complaining about your expectations not being met when those expectations are unrealistic is entirely unreasonable. Accusing the writers of "pissing on you" or "slapping you in the face" over failing to meet these unrealistic expectations is despicable and egocentric.
  5. Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I never expect it or think that the show sucks but being for kids does not shield it from criticism
  6. Evil Figment's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    True, and I said as much in the last sentence.

    But there are criticisms born from realistic expectations, and criticism born from delusional expectations.

    I respect the first category. Not the second.
  7. Ghetsis-Dennis's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    This has encouraged me to make a blog on how video game companies should never listen to their fans.
    TheMissingno. and Kree like this.
  8. Karma Kidd's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    lol wut, Evil Figment made a blog?

    Anyways, disregarding that miracle, I agree to the little thing.

    Pokemon is a little kid show, of course it won't have Ash making out or Pikachu finally frying a nigga.

    It just wouldn't work lol
    Trey likes this.
  9. Satoshi-kun's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis
    This has encouraged me to make a blog on how video game companies should never listen to their fans.
    Personally, I don't think that there's anything wrong with a game company (or any company, for that matter) to listen to their fans occasionally. The problems happen when a company does nothing but please the demands of their fans, as this will end up causing more stress to the company, and will never please all fans.

    When I read your blog, Figgy, I was reminded of a friend of mine, who tells me from time to time about things that she reads on Doctor Who fansites and fan blogs, and I am constantly saying to myself "I'm watching this show to be entertained, and even when I don't like every decision made in each season, I am still fucking entertained. That is the point of this show, to entertain. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I don't participate in the fandom, that would drive me nuts."
  10. Evil Figment's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    When I read your blog, Figgy, I was reminded of a friend of mine, who tells me from time to time about things that she reads on Doctor Who fansites and fan blogs, and I am constantly saying to myself "I'm watching this show to be entertained, and even when I don't like every decision made in each season, I am still fucking entertained. That is the point of this show, to entertain. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I don't participate in the fandom, that would drive me nuts."
    And that's also why you don't find me getting much involved in fandom discussions. Too many people with highly overinflated expectations yelling and ranting and acting offended that the creators dared make something they disagree with,.

    At the end of the day, the question is: am I having fun? If yes, the details don't matter. If not, then why the fuck am I still watching?
  11. Evil Figment's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    When I read your blog, Figgy, I was reminded of a friend of mine, who tells me from time to time about things that she reads on Doctor Who fansites and fan blogs, and I am constantly saying to myself "I'm watching this show to be entertained, and even when I don't like every decision made in each season, I am still fucking entertained. That is the point of this show, to entertain. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I don't participate in the fandom, that would drive me nuts."
    And that's also why you don't find me getting much involved in fandom discussions. Too many people with highly overinflated expectations yelling and ranting and acting offended that the creators dared make something they disagree with,.

    At the end of the day, the question is: am I having fun? If yes, the details don't matter. If not, then why the fuck am I still watching?
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
  12. Ghetsis-Dennis's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    [QUOTE=Satoshi-kun;bt235663]Personally, I don't think that there's anything wrong with a game company (or any company, for that matter) to listen to their fans occasionally. The problems happen when a company does nothing but please the demands of their fans, as this will end up causing more stress to the company, and will never please all fans.[/QUOTE]
    It's why I fear that Mega Man Legends 3 would underperform before its cancellation. Capcom really needs to stop giving what the fans wants in their games.
  13. The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    This blog is very true.

    I sometimes browse youtube or deviantart and wind up on Misty fanpages, and there are still people there who are setting up "petitions" to get Misty back into the show. I honestly can't believe these people are serious.

    This character has been gone from 2002, which is 10 entire years ago, and everyone who watched the early seasons is now long out of the target audience of the show. The current generation of kids doesn't even know who Misty is outside of the HGSS games most likely. If they do see older episodes, they won't have the same "attachment" to Misty because they grew up watching the anime well after she was already done.

    Its unbelieveable. Sometimes I feel like we're back in 2003 again when Misty had just left, which back then was understandable...but now in 2012 when she's been gone for 10 years? Seriously, WTF?
  14. Evil Figment's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    You're late. I expected this blog post turned into a Misty debate days ago.
  15. toodlesdoodles's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I love the games and the show now just as much as I loved it when it first came out. I am one of those people who would like Misty to come back, and I do think she may come back at some point, but I think all of the characters Ash traveled with are going to come back; but I don't expect it. I don't think something sucks because it doesn't have everything I want in it. The target age audience is indeed much younger than we generally are, so as much as I would love for Ash to get a girlfriend, it probably won't happen because kids in that age group aren't really interested in that kind of stuff (generally). I would like to see a Pokemon series (even if it's just webisodes or something) that's geared towards those of us who have grown up with it (or some sort of special maybe). Like maybe 20 years later...or something, it could be just one episode or something. I don't necessarily think our opinions don't matter to the directors and what not, after all, it's the adults that are paying for the Pokemon stuff. But I do agree that they listen more to the newer and younger audiences. I really liked this blog. I don't think it's wrong to talk about what kind of things you'd like in the games or anime or what not. But I agree when you're saying things like they're slapping you in the face is absolutely ridiculous!
  16. The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Misty will never return to Pokemon. She hasn't even had a cameo since 2005 and her character has faded away from the current generation of kids.
    Caseydia likes this.
  17. Bubble Frog's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Lol, Scott and Misty hate post are always hilarious. XD
    @Gliscor'd; Misty is gone, dude. You're living in the past. It's YOU who only gives a crap about Misty :P there are nearly no Misty fans that I see who are actually making a big brouhaha about Misty being gone or not being in the show. You're the only one who keeps babbling about Misty to this very day. Scott, Scott. Just..let..it..gooooo. I hardly see these "vicious" big bad mean bully Misty fans you keep talking about on Youtube, it's ridiculous. Your the only one I know who keeps constant track and tabs on Misty.
    Updated 3rd July 2012 at 06:27 AM by Bubble Frog
  18. The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    No it isn't me. There are still people out there campaigning to get Misty back into the show and it makes no sense.

    Go to google and type in various Misty keywords and you'll see. It's very rare on Bulbagarden because this place is filled with more intelligent anime fans thanks to Archaic beating down all the gaki's back in 2002 and 2003.
  19. Piplup's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    LOL at Scott's posts here when this blog clearly refers to his own behavior too XD especially with the "slap in the face" example...
    A bigger LOL at Scott talking about Misty again... I really should consider just leaving the "fandom" and simply enjoy the show without all this ridiculousness...
  20. voicerocker's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Such a great blog. Agreed with every point!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: