So... forums... why?
by, 27th December 2012 at 02:23 AM (408 Views)
So as a lot of you... no, forget that. I'm not actually sure if anyone here has noticed that I've been on Bulba less and less over the last year. I'm not sure if anyone noticed my permanently removed mod italics. I'm not sure if anyone cares. And to be honest, I don't mind. This is not a cry-for-attention blog. This is more of a philosophical questioning of the forums and my place in them.
See, I could blame my inactivity on school (bit of a factor), or work (also a factor), or a social life (HA!). But that wouldn't be honest. After the disaster that was Summer 2011, followed by the disaster that was October 2011, and then a 9 month hiatus from the forums, I really thought I could come back to things and start anew. But now I'm still not visiting or participating. I'm not a mod anymore nor do I have any desire to be. I just do not enjoy being on Bulbagarden anymore.
So if that's the reason for my inactivity... what's the reason for my reason? Why do I not enjoy it? What has changed that made me go from the guy who makes 50 posts a day and is on here for hours to the guy who goes weeks at a time without thinking about this place? I have several theories.
1. I burned myself out. Possible. Saty always said I would. I'm not entirely convinced that's the reason, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.
2. I'm not enjoying Pokemon anymore. Again, possible. I still haven't finished White 2, but I blame that more on the actual game than the franchise. It just feels like a watered down version of the original and that there's not enough new to justify me caring about finishing a game I feel I've already played. I still love Pokemon though. Or, at least, I think I do.
3. The people that I enjoyed hanging out with aren't here anymore. This is the reason I find most likely. It being the internet, people come and go like the weather. But I have made friends here and enjoyed talking with them until they sort of just vanished. Now I, like them, am vanishing. And even if there are people still here that I enjoyed hanging out with... some of them have changed a bit in the last year into something I don't really want to be around.
4. The forums themselves are bad. Not something I want to admit, but I do have some issues with Bulbagarden itself. This isn't really the time and place for me to bring them up, and I have made these comments to the powers that be before. Things are changing... but not in a good way.
5. I'm nostalgic. Highly possible. I just yearn for the old "golden days" of HGSS and pre-BW and how fun and awesome it was. I forget the 2 bannings I got, the fights I got into, Wigglytuff, and assorted other incidents. *sigh* But still... I enjoyed my early days here and wish it was more like that.
So here's my question. Why do you guys find the forums enjoyable? What keeps you coming back? If any of you who I once called friends read this, what's your take on my apathy towards being here? I'm curious about viewpoints here. I want to find out what changed.
Again, this is seriously not a cry for attention. I am legitimately interested in what people have to say. It only requires people to actually read this.
Which, considering the length of this blog and its lack of cat-related topics... I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Total Trackbacks 0