The Strange Case of Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums

View RSS Feed

Silktree

The Strange Case of Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo

Rate this Entry
by , 17th September 2011 at 05:03 AM (11696 Views)
In anticipation of Junichi Masuda's announcement later today, I would like to discuss an aspect of the games rarely brought up by fans - the Mewtwo story. Clearly, many fans are under the belief that there is no story to speak of (you can find a typical example of this mindset here), but the Generation III games (FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald) provide bits and pieces that at the very least indicate there is a story somewhere in Game Freak's hidden drawers. Considering the unprecedented focus on Mewtwo, it would not be a leap to suspect that its in-game story could very well be a subject of a future game, at least by way of a special event triggered by the promotional Mewtwo.

Now, at this point I would advise some caution: In-game events have for the most been disappointing to those us who appreciate a well-rounded story involving a mythical Pokémon. Over a year ago, I speculated that since Zoroark's event involved the legendary beasts, something would to have justify that choice; this prediction backfired pretty badly, and today it does not seem there is anything special about Zoroark. Now, the first special event, the GS Ball one, was mystifying to those observant enough to note that Celebi was not contained in the ball and yet the Ilex Forest became restless ("Did something happen to the forest's guardian?"); it provided a great deal of food for thought, but nothing has become of it so far. Later, the first few Generation III events had absolutely no exposition, so as intriguing as Birth Island and Navel Rock were (not so much Southern Island), it was clear that Game Freak hadn't thought them through. But then the Old Sea Map event came along and was similar to the GS Ball event not only in that was exclusive to Japan, but in that there was at least one line of text that fueled speculation - the message left by Mr. Fuji. In Generation IV, two events were devoid of a story (Regigigas and Shaymin's), one had a slight twist in Platinum (Darkrai's), and two others were dialogue-heavy (Arceus and Celebi's) but arguably focused on the wrong aspects. In Black and White, all three hidden events have exposition, but I would say the Keldeo event is the only one that has something worthwhile to offer other than a move or item.

So what makes me relatively confident that Mewtwo will have its story told? The fact that it not an event-exclusive Pokémon or a version mascot, and yet it is being made out to be a very big deal right now. It is also a good thing that this event is not related to an upcoming movie, because it means that if the event ends up being unremarkable, the entire promotion will have been a waste of time; so, using this logic, I'm rather optimistic that the event will be worthwhile. But that's enough meta talk; before I go on to discuss the theory, a review of the in-game evidence is required to avoid any misunderstandings:

Quote Originally Posted by Red and Green
A Pokémon whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result.
Quote Originally Posted by Blue
It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.
Quote Originally Posted by Red and Green
July 5: Guyana, South America. A new Pokémon was discovered deep in the jungle.

July 10: We christened the newly discovered Pokémon Mew.

February 6: Mew gave birth. We named the newborn Mewtwo.

September 1: Mewtwo is far too powerful. We have failed to curb its vicious tendencies...
Quote Originally Posted by Red and Green
A photo of the Lab's founder... Dr. Fuji?!
Quote Originally Posted by Red and Green
There's an E-mail message... There are three legendary bird Pokémon. They are Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to Cerulean. From: Pokémon Research Team.
Quote Originally Posted by FireRed and LeafGreen
Pokémon Mansion: A decrepit, burned-down mansion on Cinnabar Island. It got its name because a famous Pokémon researcher lived there.
Quote Originally Posted by FireRed and LeafGreen
I came over to visit the Cinnabar Gym, but the door is locked tight. There should be a key for it somewhere. Could it be in that burned-out mansion? The Gym Leader's friend used to live there, they say.
Quote Originally Posted by FireRed and LeafGreen
It's a photo of Blaine and Mr. Fuji. They're standing shoulder to shoulder with big grins.
Quote Originally Posted by FireRed and LeafGreen
I hear Mr. Fuji's not from these parts originally, either.
Quote Originally Posted by Emerald
...6th day If any human…sets foot here…again…et it be a kindhearted pers… …ith that hope, I depar…ji
Quote Originally Posted by HeartGold and SoulSilver
Cerulean Cave: A cave that had collapsed once. It has been reconstructed.
I doubt that I need to spell out the obvious: Mr. Fuji is Dr. Fuji - a scientist who founded the Pokémon Lab and lived in the Pokémon Mansion, who one day found Mew in Guyana (Faraway Island). Some months later, Mew gave birth to a child, which Fuji then took to his mansion. What may be less obvious is that Mew itself was most likely never taken to Cinnabar: Note that Mew gave birth on February 6th, and Fuji left Faraway Island on the 6th day of some month; chances are that this is not a coincidence, meaning that Fuji left the island with Mew's baby as soon as possible, and probably never left beforehand (otherwise Mew would not have given birth on the very day Fuji left it behind). What is more important to note is that Fuji showed genuine concern for Mew... Was there a legitimate reason for his concern? What about the newborn Mew?



The heart of this theory lies in the fact that the reason for Mewtwo's apparent lack of heart is the cruel experimentation that was done on it, which is to say that it was not born the way it is today. As far as we know, the scientist who spliced Mewtwo's genes is responsible for Mewtwo's savage demeanor (this is even noted on the official website, so it's not just an obscure Pokédex entry). This is in contrast to the anime version of the story, where Dr. Fuji (who had no relation to Mr. Fuji) gave Mewtwo life, but made it so intelligent that Mewtwo rejected the notion that it was created to serve man; it did not appear that Mewtwo was abused in any way (not even when Giovanni came along, although this fueled Mewtwo's rage). So how is it that Mewtwo's life is the harshest in the version where one of the kindest people in the Pokémon world is the leading scientist? When Mr. Fuji hoped that only a kindhearted person would find Mew, did he look into himself wondering whether he was not such a person?

Of course, the simplest way to reconcile the gap between Dr. Fuji and Mr. Fuji is to assume that Team Rocket was involved and Fuji was forced to comply with their demands. This is not implied in the games; moreover, I would say that the opposite is implied:

This old guy marched right up to our hideout. Then, he starts ranting about how Team Rocket's abusing Pokémon. So, we're just talking it over as adults.
Heh? You came to save me? Thank you. But, I came here of my own free will. I came to calm the soul of Cubone's mother. I think Marowak's spirit has gone to the afterlife. I must thank you for your kind concern!
Fuji does not seem like a weak person who would would inflict terrible pain on a newborn Pokémon out of fear for his own life. As evidenced from Faraway Island, he had a conscience before the experiment began, so I doubt that he would have done anything so vehemently cruel as what he did if he had been of the right mind. Since nothing ties Team Rocket to Mewtwo in the games, I see no reason to include them in this theory. So what could explain Fuji's dumbfounding actions?

The answer I have in mind is found in the title of this article. Mr. Fuji and Dr. Fuji... Does that ring any bells? It should if you've read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. If you have, you may take issue with the comparison, since Mr. Hyde is the heartless monster whereas Dr. Jekyll is the noble philanthropist. This reversal of roles, of course, is the kind of creative license that is right up Game Freak's alley; nothing about this is supposed to be obvious, or we would have had a clear answer 15 years ago. Now, what was the strange case of of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? In a nutshell, Dr. Jekyll created a potion that metamorphosed him into Mr. Hyde (a creature free of conscience), and he did so in attempt to separate his good side from his darker impulses. Slowly but gradually, the evil identity began to take over almost completely and rejoiced in the murder of others, and Jekyll's ability to change back from Hyde into himself vanished. Eventually, Mr. Hyde committed suicide, most likely having realized that he would be executed for his crimes. The truth of what happened was revealed through letters that Jekyll had written to his friend, Utterson; the last line read "I bring the life of that unhappy Henry Jekyll to an end."

So what exactly am I implying here? That for whatever reason, Fuji was not himself after he returned from Faraway Island - his personality changed. "With this hope, I depart" is eeringly reminiscent of "I bring the life of that unhappy Henry Jekyll to an end," and Fuji's journal entries can be seen as a nod to Jekyll's letters. Of course, Fuji described the transformation of Mewtwo, and his limited dialogue in the games does not imply that there was ever something wrong with him. But there had to have been a change in his own character, or the experiment would have never gone so far. Why, then, is there no remnant of Fuji's dark persona? Possibly because the malevolence was completely transferred to Mewtwo, which is to say that there is more to Mewtwo's evil than its hatred of Fuji. In fact, considering that Mr. Fuji is alive and well and Mewtwo lives a life of solitude, there may be a part of Mewtwo that realizes that it is inextricably linked to the cause of its own misery, whereas Fuji is now free to be the kind person he really is. The research team that were unlucky to look for the legendary birds in Cerulean Cave most likely met their demise (through no fault of their own), but Kanto's general population do not know Mewtwo exists. I suspect that Red did not handle his encounter with Mewtwo all too well (which probably resulted in the cave's collapse), but that is neither here nor there right now.

The Source of Malevolence
It is tempting to say that like in the novel, the evil within Fuji was born of his attempt to separate the good and bad elements within him. However, in the Pokémon world pure-hearted people do seem to exist (the player characters), and I wouldn't expect Game Freak to suggest that there is no such thing as a pure heart. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a criticism of Victorian society; I doubt that Game Freak are presumptuous enough to tell us that there is something ugly about ourselves (although they would be right). Considering that Mew revealed itself to Fuji, it is reasonable to say that he was wholly good from the start, but something changed that made Fuji lose control over his actions. What happened?

Fuji and his crew stayed with Mew in Faraway Island for almost seven months. Leaving aside the question of how Mew became pregnant, seven months is a long time for them to stay out in the middle of a jungle. Is the story of Mewtwo's birth really that of science? I somehow doubt that there were two Mew that mated, or that Fuji found an artificial way to impregnate Mew. Like it or not, there is no evidence that Pokémon reproduction works that way; since Generation II, Game Freak have gone out of their way to tell us that there is something supernatural about Pokémon eggs, and it could be argued that we saw proof of that in the Sinjoh Ruins event (not just for Arceus, but in general). Now in Generation V, we have a legend stating that the original dragon was somehow born in the Dragonspiral Tower... How did that happen? And regardless of the exact connection between Kyurem and the original dragon, what made Kyurem be a terrifying monster that is alleged to eat people and Pokémon? It was probably not born that way, much like Mewtwo started out its life as a Mew.

Mewtwo is the only Pokémon said to be inherently ferocious. Where did its evil come from? It is easy to say that Mewtwo's vicious tendencies are simply a result of human involvement, but if that is the case, Game Freak shot themselves in the foot by making Mr. Fuji be Mewtwo's creator of all people. It is hard for me to say what the reason for Fuji's temporary transformation was, but I suspect that in a case as extreme as this one, Game Freak would rather delve in the supernatural than appeal to psychology. That is, if they plan to explain it at all.

Submit "The Strange Case of Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo" to Digg Submit "The Strange Case of Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo" to del.icio.us Submit "The Strange Case of Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Strange Case of Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo" to Google

Updated 12th February 2013 at 05:58 PM by Silktree

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I figured out most of the Mr. Fuji/Dr. Fuji/Mew/Mewtwo connection a long time ago, but I've always assumed that Mew, having the DNA of all Pokémon, was able to give birth to any Pokémon willingly.

    My theory went like this: Mew felt threatened by the new presence of Mr. Fuji, gave birth to another Mew in order to make sure they don't become extinct, Mr. Fuji takes the child instead of the original Mew, experiments on it, it becomes Mewtwo, Mr. Fuji learns the errors of his ways and becomes more considerate of Pokémon, Mewtwo escapes.

    There are some holes in my theory, and you comparison to Jekyll and Hyde made me think that maybe Mr. Fuji, knowing that Mew reveals itself to pure-hearted people only, wanted to see if he himself was pure-hearted, but when he found Mew on his own rather than Mew revealing himself, he assumed he was evil, and took the role of the scientist Dr. Fuji in order to determine that the "Mew only reveals itself to pure-hearted people" thing is a legend by experimenting on the Mew.

    It's very complicated...
  2. The Outrage's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Note that Mew gave birth on February 6th, and Fuji left Faraway Island on the 6th day of some month; chances are that this is not a coincidence, meaning that Fuji left the island with Mew's baby as soon as possible, and probably never left beforehand (otherwise Mew would not have given birth on the very day Fuji left it behind).
    This is certainly an interesting point here, it wasn't something I could reconcile when I was making my theory. I was always wondering whether Fuji did, in fact, go back to Mew's island, but this explanation makes much more sense.

    It makes me wonder though, could the genetic experiments have been performed after Mewtwo's birth? I had always thought, if Mew was the ancestor of (most) Pokemon, how could Mewtwo be considered a clone in most of his incarnations? I can only think of are two possibilities:

    1. The term "birth" is used very loosely and there was a Mew egg, and they had genetically altered Mewtwo while it was in its early stages

    2. The genetics weren't so much gene splicing as they may have been experiments on epigenetics to influence the expression of genes that Mew already had.

    Personally, I lean toward the second.

    So what could explain Fuji's dumbfounding actions?

    The answer I have in mind is found in the title of this article. Mr. Fuji and Dr. Fuji... Does that ring any bells? It should if you've read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
    If I recall the story being called an allusion to drug addiction because of what the author was going through at the time, but there are other things that can make good people turn bad--particularly war. We know that there was a war in the Pokémon World. This is what my theory was going to make. Fans always speculate how war would be conducted in the Pokéverse. It's evident from Lt. Surge's dialogue that wars are at least fought along side Pokémon, and from Surge's account, his Pokemon were used to augment his fighter plane.

    So what of Mewtwo? I viewed him as a superweapon of sorts. Many atrocious acts have happened in the past in the name of war, and many people have tried to justify it as "I was just following orders"--of course, I do not believe Fuji was one of those people. His heart was kind. I would think that what influenced him was a more manipulative mind in the background, convincing him that if this superweapon was made, and its power shown, that the war would end much earlier, and there would be considerably less life lost on both sides than if the war was drawn out. Sound familiar? If I my history knowledge checks out (and please feel free to correct me), that was one of the justifications for using the A-bomb. Of course, the details of this war is left up in the air, but I believe it was resolved long before Mewtwo was released.

    What I believe happened was not a case of split personality, but that because a good man was forced to choose between the lesser of two evils, or at least forced to choose what he was made to believe was the lesser of two evils (I guess you can say I've been influenced by Doctor Who in that regard).

    The acts of Mr. Fuji at Pokémon Tower, and his defiance of Team Rocket, I had always seen as an act of repentance for what he did, and his new resolve to no longer be swayed by others to do evil deeds. I don't believe that there was any supernatural transference of malice, though Mewtwo being a powerful psychic Pokemon certainly doesn't rule out such an event.

    I believe the source of Mewtwo's malice is that it was conceived as a weapon of war, and likely brought up as one. There has been no fictional character that I've seen that was well adjusted when they were created and raised for the sole purpose of being a weapon. It could be very possible that being a Psychic, they tried to implant hostile images of the world in its mind to more easily justify using it as a weapon.

    Though my biggest problem is that Mew would apparently appear to Fuji when it had that malice hidden deep in his heart. I see the story of Mr. Fuji to be analogous to that of N. They were both pure-hearted individuals, and it is this pure heart that allowed others to manipulate them by tricking them into saying they are helping others--N helping Pokemon by separating them, and Fuji helping the world at large by helping a war end sooner.

    At first when I was writing this, I had thought I was rejecting your Jekyll and Hyde position, but upon reading this over again, I think I was giving an answer to what I believed that potion was--war. It didn't necessarily release his darker impulses but was more like N in the fact that he was a kind individual being used by others. Fuji's kind heart was taken advantage of. A heart that would never want to see harm done unto others was forced to choose a lesser of two evils, made to believe that had he refused the creation of Mewtwo that the war mentioned in the Pokemon World would rage on for decades. Concordia put it best: "[His] heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence"

    Perhaps it was this innocence that Mewtwo felt that caused it to not exact its revenge on Fuji or to destroy the land. Mewtwo's accounts of being vicious and heartless would likely come from the limited interactions humans had with it, particularly the interaction which led to the destruction of Fuji's lab.
    -------------

    I'd like to thank you for posting this, it helped me get my theory organized as well, though I won't be posting it for awhile. With a Mewtwo event on the horizon, I think I'll be waiting to see how Game Freak plays it out.

    Note: I mentioned the war with Surge. He's fairly young, the war was likely not WWII, I personally don't think the war would line up with any human war, but it certainly happened long enough ago that we don't really see any of its after effects. The way people talk about the Cinnabar Mansion as well made it seem like it happened a long time ago, so basically, when I was theorizing I tried to link two points in Pokemon history.

    Game Freak's not above mentioning Pokemon created as weapons, so only time will tell if they'll illuminate this for us.
    SirOni and Saiga like this.
    Updated 17th September 2011 at 08:59 AM by The Outrage
  3. Ash_Pokemaster's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    That's a surprisingly logical theory! The comparison of Mr./Dr. Fuji to the characters of that book seems incredibly likely, and puts light on many questions on Fuji's behavior. It also completely fits to Mewtwo's dramatic past and character. Very good job on detecting this possible source of inspiration.

    If there's a part I disagree with, that would be the disregard of the scientific background behind Mewtwo's birth -- I'm not necessarily convinced that it wasn't Mr. Fuji who triggered the birth of Mewtwo. The following seems to indicate that Dr. Fuji didn't start his experiments when he arrived to the Cinnabar Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow
    Its DNA is almost the same as Mew's. However, its size and disposition are vastly different.
    As far as the discussion is concerned, it probably doesn't matter if Mewtwo should be labeled as a clone of Mew (sharing [ι]most[/i] of its DNA with Mew on a place when it's hard to tell if there are multiple Mews and born in a convenient time when Fuji and his crew arrived to the island -- also, them leaving the day Mewtwo was born makes it seem that they were monitoring the Pokémon at the time). Just felt like pointing it out, we've discussed that before.

    The point Kyuujux raises about Mr. Fuji being disappointed over not being recognized by Mew is something I had thought myself lately; but such behavior would still be a gross exaggeration. Surely there has to be something else that was the main reason of Dr. Fuji's final outcome. One thought would be that his original interest to Mew was in relation to the Pokémon's genetic features and origin; while Mew probably acknowledged Mr. Fuji's pure heart, it could not have appeared before Mr. Fuji knowing that he may have other intentions too. Still, that doesn't explain why Mr. Fuji created his evil persona, Dr. Fuji.

    I surely hope the incoming event will shed some light on this, or at least a few hint on a future event in "Grey".
  4. The Outrage's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Still, that doesn't explain why Mr. Fuji created his evil persona, Dr. Fuji.
    Nitpick, but I don't like the phrasing which suggests that Fuji as a scientist was the inherently evil persona. Like I said earlier, I don't believe there was an actual evil persona but more like history (retroactively) repeating itself with Fuji's story following N's. I don't think Game Freak is as devoid of continuity as people think. The struggle between humans and Pokemon in BW had been alluded to in HgSs's plot, and also the Sinnoh myths which had a story outlining the close relation between the humans and Pokemon, as well as the Veilstone myth, which seems to allude to the struggle between the two species.

    In either case, it was clear that Mr. Fuji had already held a doctorate and would likely have referred to himself as Dr. Fuji when he first found Mew. He was still who he was.

    More likely I believe that Fuji, after his actions with Mewtwo had stepped down as a man of science due to the guilt he felt, hence no longer being referred to as Dr. Fuji.
    Narcisse and Giovanni Sakaki like this.
  5. Silktree's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuujux
    There are some holes in my theory, and you comparison to Jekyll and Hyde made me think that maybe Mr. Fuji, knowing that Mew reveals itself to pure-hearted people only, wanted to see if he himself was pure-hearted, but when he found Mew on his own rather than Mew revealing himself, he assumed he was evil, and took the role of the scientist Dr. Fuji in order to determine that the "Mew only reveals itself to pure-hearted people" thing is a legend by experimenting on the Mew.
    I find this hard to swallow. Are you arguing that Fuji was making a point that Mew was right not have to shown itself to him? That was the extent of his motivation to put Mew's baby through hell? Considering that Mewtwo has the ability to make itself invisible, I doubt anyone would have found it unless it had wanted to be found.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage
    2. The genetics weren't so much gene splicing as they may have been experiments on epigenetics to influence the expression of genes that Mew already had.

    Personally, I lean toward the second.
    I think this is strongly implied by the Pokédex entries.

    What I believe happened was not a case of split personality, but that because a good man was forced to choose between the lesser of two evils, or at least forced to choose what he was made to believe was the lesser of two evils (I guess you can say I've been influenced by Doctor Who in that regard).
    I can't see this being the case. If there was a war in recent times that was big enough to convince Mr. Fuji that he had to create Mewtwo, why isn't it referenced in the games? I think there is a reason why only a foreigner (Lt. Surge) was said to have fought in a war; the Japan that Satoshi Tajiri created is not a place where people are tied to war.

    The acts of Mr. Fuji at Pokémon Tower, and his defiance of Team Rocket, I had always seen as an act of repentance for what he did, and his new resolve to no longer be swayed by others to do evil deeds.
    I had thought so, too, until I realized that Fuji must have written the Faraway Island message before the experiments began. If he knew then that he was going to do something wrong, and yet he still didn't stop, there is little repentance for that.

    and Fuji helping the world at large by helping a war end sooner.
    Would he have helped the world at large? Some side would have suffered. Considering that it is unlikely Mewtwo would have helped even Kanto (which has only had Team Rocket as a threat in recent years), how would using Mewtwo as a weapon have been worth it? I know there are possible answers to this question, but they all seem like a stretch within the scope of what we know.

    At first when I was writing this, I had thought I was rejecting your Jekyll and Hyde position, but upon reading this over again, I think I was giving an answer to what I believed that potion was--war. It didn't necessarily release his darker impulses but was more like N in the fact that he was a kind individual being used by others. Fuji's kind heart was taken advantage of. A heart that would never want to see harm done unto others was forced to choose a lesser of two evils, made to believe that had he refused the creation of Mewtwo that the war mentioned in the Pokemon World would rage on for decades. Concordia put it best: "[His] heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence"
    I feel compelled to point out that N changed his mind about using Genesect as a weapon, choosing to befriend Reshiram/Zekrom instead. That's a very significant difference from what you're suggesting Mr. Fuji did.

    I don't think Game Freak is as devoid of continuity as people think. The struggle between humans and Pokemon in BW had been alluded to in HgSs's plot, and also the Sinnoh myths which had a story outlining the close relation between the humans and Pokemon, as well as the Veilstone myth, which seems to allude to the struggle between the two species.
    But in no game is it said there was a war in recent times on the scale of a World War where people had to question their morals. I've honestly never thought of Lt. Surge's war as being particularly important; I think Game Freak were taking a stab at the Gulf War, which is often parodied.

    In either case, it was clear that Mr. Fuji had already held a doctorate and would likely have referred to himself as Dr. Fuji when he first found Mew. He was still who he was.
    The analogy isn't exact. The point is that in the end, Mr. Fuji stopped being a doctor much in the same way as Mr. Hyde stopped being a normal person; Game Freak chose the reverse ending for Fuji. This is not to say that he was always bad as a scientist.
    Updated 17th September 2011 at 11:33 AM by Silktree
  6. The Outrage's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Would he have helped the world at large? Some side would have suffered. Considering that it is unlikely Mewtwo would have helped even Kanto (which has only had Team Rocket as a threat in recent years), how would using Mewtwo as a weapon have been worth it? I know there are possible answers to this question, but they all seem like a stretch within the scope of what we know.
    The point isn't whether he would or would not have. All what matters is what he believed to be right, and as I said, its choosing the lesser evil. Yes, at least one side would suffer more, but the suffering would be less compared to a prolonged battle, and as evident from their diaries, they did not expect Mewtwo to be so uncontrollable.

    I feel compelled to point out that N changed his mind about using Genesect as a weapon, choosing to befriend Reshiram/Zekrom instead. That's a very significant difference from what you're suggesting Mr. Fuji did.
    I said analogous, not the exact same story. From what I can gather, N did not even know about Genesect until it was already in development. I assume it was more of Ghetsis' plan for after N succeeded. We cannot discount N's upbringing compared to Fuji. N believed humans to be villains, thus he viewed Genesect to be abhorrent to the natural order, as it was a Pokemon influenced by human hands. He no doubt would have viewed the same of Mewtwo and would have had him terminated.

    The difference lies in their choices. N was trying to separate two societies by force, my suggestion was that Fuji may have tried to prevent greater strife in the world. But what is analogous is they were both used by a higher power. N by Ghetsis, and Fuji by whoever commissioned him. That is the similarity between the two I want to point out.

    But in no game is it said there was a war in recent times on the scale of a World War where people had to question their morals. I've honestly never thought of Lt. Surge's war as being particularly important; I think Game Freak were taking a stab at the Gulf War, which is often parodied.
    There is no such war where morals are not put into question. Perhaps it was a Gulf War analog, but again, I don't believe that all historical events in our reality lines up with theirs.

    If he knew then that he was going to do something wrong, and yet he still didn't stop, there is little repentance for that.
    It was never too late to repent. Perhaps he did not even know what would happen would be truly horrifying even if he did some morally questionable acts (which at that time would be limited to kidnapping a child). Another interpretation of mine was that he was just a naive (but brilliant) scientist who tried to make a new Pokemon not knowing the consequences of his actions.

    Certainly, if you look at the entry on September 1st, Mewtwo's vicious nature and uncontrollable power was something unanticipated. Whatever they did, they may have accidentally just predisposed Mewtwo to a more hostile nature, and naturally, being born a lab experiment would bring about the worst in it.

    In any case, people do bad things even when they know they shouldn't. It doesn't mean they can't feel bad or repent later.
  7. Ash_Pokemaster's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage
    Nitpick, but I don't like the phrasing which suggests that Fuji as a scientist was the inherently evil persona. Like I said earlier, I don't believe there was an actual evil persona but more like history (retroactively) repeating itself with Fuji's story following N's. I don't think Game Freak is as devoid of continuity as people think. The struggle between humans and Pokemon in BW had been alluded to in HgSs's plot, and also the Sinnoh myths which had a story outlining the close relation between the humans and Pokemon, as well as the Veilstone myth, which seems to allude to the struggle between the two species.

    In either case, it was clear that Mr. Fuji had already held a doctorate and would likely have referred to himself as Dr. Fuji when he first found Mew. He was still who he was.

    More likely I believe that Fuji, after his actions with Mewtwo had stepped down as a man of science due to the guilt he felt, hence no longer being referred to as Dr. Fuji.
    I obviously don't mean that Fuji's scientific side was his evil side. The mere reason I referred to his bad side as 'Dr. Fuji' is because 'Mr. Fuji' as a reference is very much tied to the kind version of him that has appeared in RGBY and GSC; for convenience basically. It's certain that even the Mr. Fuji we know is a scientist, even if he doesn't practice it much anymore (or maybe he does? it doesn't matter). I also agree that Game Freak is not going OCD with continuity (and I believe this to be the right thing -- they don't have to limit their creative freedom for such reasons), but that's one thing to say -- they obviously maintain a fairly well organized universe. Unlike what many will say, I'm happy with the current Pokémon world even if there is need for making assumptions sometimes.

    Don't think of this theory as literally implying that Mr. Fuji had a demon inside him controlling his actions. I'm not sure if this is the way Silktree means it, but the way I see it -- it is as if he developed in obsession which led him to do what he did -- become who he became --, uncontrolled by the true person he really was until it was too late. In a symbolical way, one could say he split himself in two pieces, especially given that his good side was aware of the actions of the evil one, but acted as if they were being done by another person (as evident from the fact that despite the fact that he took Mewtwo from Mew, he was at the same time feeling guilty for leaving, hopying that a kind person would set foot, if anyone). The person in fear of Mew's safety was the person who phychologically harmed Mew. One may attribute this "split personality" to a metaphysical factor (which would be a more rough explanation), while someone else could refer to a psychological explanation; that's mostly details. The question that lies unanswered is what was the reason this obsession, this "evil side" of him was created.
    Updated 17th September 2011 at 01:58 PM by Ash_Pokemaster
  8. Azure Butterfly's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Alternate theory:

    The signature does not say "Fuji" - it says "ji." In addition, the signature is left out of the international versions entirely.

    Mew is the main reason that Pokemon because so insanely popular. The rumors of a hidden monster drove sales up exponentially. Therefore, Mew is arguably the most important Pokemon in meta, rivaling Pikachu.

    There is someone else with "Ji" in their name that would have a reason to wish for a kind hearted person to discover Mew...
  9. The Outrage's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Of course the signature says "ji", the rest was too faded to read.

    It ignores all the other pieces of evidence to say it wasn't the Fuji we know.
  10. Silktree's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Azure Butterfly, I'm afraid I don't know who you're referring to. I doubt whoever you have in mind is a plausible option, but I'd like to know who it is.

    The fact that the official translation left out "ji" merely means that Nob Ogasawara wasn't very good at his job. By the way, he actually added "ber" to the beginning of the message, implying that it was written in September, October, November or December (rather than in February as I'm suggesting). The Japanese text merely used a generic suffix that would be used at the end of any month name.
    Updated 18th September 2011 at 12:05 PM by Silktree
  11. Wiley Willy's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I would just like to let you know, I always found this particular story from pokemon to be quite interesting and secretly very dark.

    There were a whole lot of mysterious things that happened on Cinnabar Island that to this day have never been revealed.
    I'm personally waiting for the day when Game Freak decides to fully tell us what happened with the dark experiments that were done on Mewtwo and what Fuji's full role in this was.

    Also from your confusion about Fuji. I always thought that the concept behind the terrible things that Fuji did to Mewtwo, was (and I know this is vague) in the name of science. Wasn't Fuji and his group of scientists trying to reproduce the perfect pokemon? If they said to themselves, "We're doing this for the good of all science and pokemon as well!" Couldn't you see how a person like that can be blinded by science? I see things happen like that all the time.

    I thought Game Freak was always trying to explain that even the purest of heart can stray from their path in pursuit of power and knowledge.

    Also from my understanding of the little amount of information that is actually provided in the game, but I still find interesting, is the theory that the pokemon "Ditto", was a byproduct of the Mewtwo experiments.
    Updated 27th September 2011 at 05:10 AM by Wiley Willy
  12. Silktree's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    @Swalittle
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalittle
    Also from your confusion about Fuji. I always thought that the concept behind the terrible things that Fuji did to Mewtwo, was (and I know this is vague) in the name of science. Wasn't Fuji and his group of scientists trying to reproduce the perfect pokemon? If they said to themselves, "We're doing this for the good of all science and pokemon as well!" Couldn't you see how a person like that can be blinded by science? I see things happen like that all the time.

    I thought Game Freak was always trying to explain that even the purest of heart can stray from their path in pursuit of power and knowledge.
    I had shared those thoughts until I realized that Mr. Fuji had most likely written the Faraway Island message before the experiment began. The fact that Fuji was so concerned for Mew makes it hard to believe that he would have later abused its baby in the name of science; there had to have been a more justifiable reason. Technically, even the anime Dr. Fuji had such a reason (bringing his daughter back to life), and he was not nearly as benelovent as Mr. Fuji is (not to mention that the anime Mewtwo was merely cloned and never underwent any physical pain).

    Also from my understanding of the little amount of information that is actually provided in the game, but I still find interesting, is the theory that the pokemon "Ditto", was a byproduct of the Mewtwo experiments.
    I don't think that's particularly plausible seeing as no cloning was involved in the games. You should also bear in mind that Ditto was only added to the Pokémon Mansion in Yellow, and that game was not originally going to be developed. Had Ditto been designed with the Mewtwo experiment in mind, wouldn't it have been introduced in the Pokémon Mansion?

    I do subscribe to the theory that the first Ditto was originally a Mew. But I'd wager that Ditto's history is much longer than Mewtwo's, and that no scientists were responsible for turning that certain Mew into Ditto. The explanation may simply be that said Mew lost its memory upon using Transform, and when it reverted back, it was a mere blob that was only capable of using Transform. If so, it's a tragic case of a lost identity.

    What's interesting to consider is that Ditto may have helped Mewtwo escape from the Pokémon Mansion. That kind of detail is something that Game Freak could have thought of later on.
    Saiga likes this.
    Updated 27th September 2011 at 05:58 AM by Silktree
  13. Saiga's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    This was really well written, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to create this as I really enjoyed reading it.
  14. RedSapphire's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    This is an AMAZING article. While I must admit I was a little skeptical at the Jekyll and Hyde comparison (which is most likely just due to the lack of information on Fuji himself, so an analysis on his character is much more speculation-based than Mewtwo's), it does bring up good comparisons with Mewtwo--Mewtwo can be likened to Frankenstien's monster, and both Frankenstein and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are considered "horror classics."

    The entire article before the J & H comparison was jaw-dropping to me. I think many people's idea of Mewtwo's past is almost diluted by the movie that they don't realize that they are two completely different canons. The idea that Mew gave birth to another Mew and that Mew (named Mewtwo) was experimented on, not only explains why it would become an enraged creature, but also why Mewtwo comes before Mew in the PokeDex--Fuji was so intent on experimenting and creating Mewtwo that he didn't get all the information about Mew first!
  15. SirOni's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    This theory is fascinating! This is probably irrelevant but in the anime there is a character who has minimal connections to the Mews whose name is Dr. Yung but masquerades as Mr. Mirage.

    From what I can come up with I think Azure Butterfly is referring to either Mr. Pokemon or Mr. Briney.
    Updated 17th April 2012 at 05:54 PM by SirOni
  16. Zeta's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    The only option that makes sense is that Fuji altered Mewtwo in order to save its life. Medical treatments, especially on a patient you know little to nothing about - would no doubt be cruel. But they might also be necessary if the baby Mew had a genetic disease - say the same sort of disease that causes Mew to degenerate into Ditto.
  17. Silktree's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    @Zeta That's an interesting possibility, but I don't see why Mewtwo would have to become so powerful and ruthless just to survive. Are you suggesting that it was the only way for Mewtwo's immunity system to fight off the disease?

    At any rate, I certainly wouldn't say that's the only thing that could make sense. Fuji suffering from a split personality disorder would be an elegant explanation in my eyes. I think it would be interesting to find out that Fuji subconsciously used the experiment to pass his evil side onto Mewtwo. Now that we know about the Forme, Fuji could redeem himself by helping Mewtwo find its true self.

    The simplest possibility is that Fuji was being forced to perform the experiment by a person we haven't seen yet, who might have threated someone special in Fuji's life (Mew or perhaps his friend Blaine). But right now I am not in favor of this possibility as it would be pretty similar to the anime story.
    Updated 16th April 2013 at 10:39 AM by Silktree

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: