Surprised anyone has any expectations for Serena
by, 15th September 2013 at 02:10 PM (7324 Views)
For the following reasons:
1. She's girl travel companion #5. The writers have already started re-treading old personality traits on new characters ever since Dawn was introduced. Just judging by what she looks like we know she likely will be a mix of Dawn and maybe a little of May and a tad of Misty. This is the Pokemon writers, they're not looking to make groundbreaking characters especially when the target audience is 6 years old.
2. She won't do Gyms, so she won't be a battler. After 4 female leads its obvious the writers only want Ash to challenge the Gyms. After we watched Misty not challenge any Gym leaders, May chose Contests over Gyms, Dawn stick with Contests besides one battle with Maylene, and Iris only battle Dragon Gym leaders...its obvious we're never going to see a girl go for badges and compete in the league, not on the main cast anyway.
3. Since Contests don't seem to be returning it really doesn't seem like there's any available sidequest for her to do. We saw the way the writers treated the Pokeathlon, Musicals and Pokewood with one-off filler episodes and allowed them to be forgotten. The only reason Contests worked in the series is the writers treated them like battle tournaments, without any type of battling, a secondary quest tends to be pointless. (look at Ash's other sidekicks for examples of that)
4. She's going to go through the motions of all past female leads. She's going to struggle to capture pokemon, she's going to have some sort of depression spell at some point, she's going to have her highs where she acts like a Ash/Dawn clone, and she's going to probably have almost all cute pokemon besides one or two. Again this is Pokemon, the writers aren't looking to challenge gender stereotypes. All the girls have been stuck with mostly cute pokemon besides one or two, so I doubt this time will be any different.
5. By the time she leaves its going to be exactly the same as when May and Dawn left. She's going to realize she can travel on her own instead of with Ash, she's going to go to some past region (like Johto...hahaha) and she's going to look a bit more competent than when she started out. We've seen this three times already.
6. The repetition. If you told anyone 10 years ago that Ash was going to be on his 5th female travel companion, they would have laughed in your face. There's absolutely nothing interesting about Ash having a new girl travel with him every 4 years. No this does not mean I want any old characters back (god forbid), it makes Ash himself should have been wrapped up years ago.
Yes Serena will have her fans and she'll gather a fanbase overtime the same way May and Dawn did, and I'm sure all the little kids growing up with XY will like her. But for the rest of us who have gone through this routine ever since AG started, its beyond beating the bottom of the barrel here.
Funny thing is the Dawn parallels are already being made, and I'm willing to bet if Serena and Dawn were reversed when DP was airing, it'd be no different besides the character design.
Total Trackbacks 0