Surprised anyone has any expectations for Serena - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums

View RSS Feed

The Fighting Misty

Surprised anyone has any expectations for Serena

Rate this Entry
by , 15th September 2013 at 02:10 PM (7750 Views)
For the following reasons:

1. She's girl travel companion #5. The writers have already started re-treading old personality traits on new characters ever since Dawn was introduced. Just judging by what she looks like we know she likely will be a mix of Dawn and maybe a little of May and a tad of Misty. This is the Pokemon writers, they're not looking to make groundbreaking characters especially when the target audience is 6 years old.

2. She won't do Gyms, so she won't be a battler. After 4 female leads its obvious the writers only want Ash to challenge the Gyms. After we watched Misty not challenge any Gym leaders, May chose Contests over Gyms, Dawn stick with Contests besides one battle with Maylene, and Iris only battle Dragon Gym leaders...its obvious we're never going to see a girl go for badges and compete in the league, not on the main cast anyway.

3. Since Contests don't seem to be returning it really doesn't seem like there's any available sidequest for her to do. We saw the way the writers treated the Pokeathlon, Musicals and Pokewood with one-off filler episodes and allowed them to be forgotten. The only reason Contests worked in the series is the writers treated them like battle tournaments, without any type of battling, a secondary quest tends to be pointless. (look at Ash's other sidekicks for examples of that)

4. She's going to go through the motions of all past female leads. She's going to struggle to capture pokemon, she's going to have some sort of depression spell at some point, she's going to have her highs where she acts like a Ash/Dawn clone, and she's going to probably have almost all cute pokemon besides one or two. Again this is Pokemon, the writers aren't looking to challenge gender stereotypes. All the girls have been stuck with mostly cute pokemon besides one or two, so I doubt this time will be any different.

5. By the time she leaves its going to be exactly the same as when May and Dawn left. She's going to realize she can travel on her own instead of with Ash, she's going to go to some past region (like Johto...hahaha) and she's going to look a bit more competent than when she started out. We've seen this three times already.

6. The repetition. If you told anyone 10 years ago that Ash was going to be on his 5th female travel companion, they would have laughed in your face. There's absolutely nothing interesting about Ash having a new girl travel with him every 4 years. No this does not mean I want any old characters back (god forbid), it makes Ash himself should have been wrapped up years ago.


Yes Serena will have her fans and she'll gather a fanbase overtime the same way May and Dawn did, and I'm sure all the little kids growing up with XY will like her. But for the rest of us who have gone through this routine ever since AG started, its beyond beating the bottom of the barrel here.

Funny thing is the Dawn parallels are already being made, and I'm willing to bet if Serena and Dawn were reversed when DP was airing, it'd be no different besides the character design.

Submit "Surprised anyone has any expectations for Serena" to Digg Submit "Surprised anyone has any expectations for Serena" to del.icio.us Submit "Surprised anyone has any expectations for Serena" to StumbleUpon Submit "Surprised anyone has any expectations for Serena" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. Tsutarja's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Gee Scott, you are a total psychic.

    Remember that time you predicted the Champion League would totally happen? Because things were obviously pointing towards that direction because the entire E4 appeared and it was all leading towards an incredible Champion League? Things looked so obvious and yet ... you were wrong.

    And you are wrong now.

    You cannot possibly know what is going to happen and the very fact you are writing off Serena as a Dawn clone just shows much of a shallow mindset you posses because you are basing off everything on her appearance. It's ridiculous. You have zero information about this girl and yet you're willing to proclaim she has the same personality as Dawn - do you realize how ridiculous that is?
  2. Reila's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    How about we wait for some episodes to air before saying that Serena (or any other character) will be this or that?
  3. Hoopa's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Watch her be a may clone and for scott to fall in love with her.
  4. Team Gaara's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Just judging by what she looks like we know she likely will be a mix of Dawn and maybe a little of May and a tad of Misty.
    I'm genuinely curious as to what led you to this conclusion. We haven't even seen Serena in a trailer yet, just a poster and official artwork. Just what are you basing this off of?

    and she's going to probably have almost all cute pokemon besides one or two. Again this is Pokemon, the writers aren't looking to challenge gender stereotypes. All the girls have been stuck with mostly cute pokemon besides one or two, so I doubt this time will be any different.
    Which Pokemon of Misty's were cute? Horsea, Luvdisk, and Corsola? Like 5-6 of her Pokemon would probably not be considered cute by Pokemon standards. Plus, May probably only had three Pokemon considered cute by Pokemon standards, and four that were not. And I'm pretty sure Iris didn't care about that kind if thing.

    There have been various girls (not traveling companions, but female, nonetheless) that don't have only cute Pokemon plastered onto them, like Burgundy and Georgia, for example. They even made a whole DP episode about it.

    I'm not saying I disagree with you on this point, since Kalos does have a lot of cute Pokemon I could see them giving to Serena, but I don't agree on the point that Pokemon just gives all the girls all cute Pokemon.

    Just what about Serena makes you think she'll be a Dawn clone when we haven't even seen but two images of the girl?
  5. Sakuraa's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I honestly think it's kind of ridiculous that people are predicting that Serena will specifically be a clone of Dawn and that she'll only use cute Pokémon just by looking at her. All of the females have had different teams and personalities that certainly aren't based on their appearances. In the same manner, it's also suggesting that the writers can't try anything new, which definitely isn't true.
  6. Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I'm surprised anyone still has expectations for the anime as a whole. It's pretty much been the same shit since the beginning.
    Pokémon Master Ash and Xita like this.
  7. Karamazov's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat
    I'm surprised anyone still has expectations for the anime as a whole. It's pretty much been the same shit since the beginning.
    Aside from the arcs and stories Team Rocket built up in BW, an arc centered around a Pokemon like Chimchar, and introducing a Contest subplot in AG and starting the trend where female companions get their own stories.

    Just because the anime mimics the game in being formulaic doesn't mean it's the same shit every season. The anime itself is shit regardless, though.
  8. The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara
    Which Pokemon of Misty's were cute? Horsea, Luvdisk, and Corsola? Like 5-6 of her Pokemon would probably not be considered cute by Pokemon standards.
    Most of Misty's team was generally small and cute:

    - Staryu didn't have a face, but the writers axed the more powerful Starmie and left it behind during Kanto and kept the weaker Staryu on Misty's team, showing they didn't want her with a powerful evolved water type for whatever reason.

    - Horsea was cute and never evolved

    - Togepi was the cute baby pokemon that didn't evolve until after she left

    - Goldeen can be considered cute or feminine

    - Corsola was definitely supposed to be cute, even though I didn't find it.

    - Psyduck again was kept small and cute, they even faked out in Orange Islands tricking people into thinking Misty got a Golduck only to go back on it and leave her with Psyduck for the rest of the saga

    - Poliwag was cute and even though it evolved, Politoed generally has a cute and fun personality, unlike a Poliwrath which is tougher looking. (And yes I know that was for Johto advertising but you get the point)

    Plus, May probably only had three Pokemon considered cute by Pokemon standards, and four that were not. And I'm pretty sure Iris didn't care about that kind if thing.
    May and Dawn were both given one or two full evolutions but the rest of their pokemon stayed small.

    Just what about Serena makes you think she'll be a Dawn clone when we haven't even seen but two images of the girl?
    Again, this is Pokemon. Look at how Dawn and Iris basically felt like, "second versions" of May and Misty. Yes they were very different, but you can tell their traits and roles in the series were designed to be the same as May and Misty.
  9. Team Gaara's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    Most of Misty's team was generally small and cute. May and Dawn were both given one or two full evolutions but the rest of their pokemon stayed small.
    Okay. So do you mean small or cute? Or feminine? There is a difference. Starmie and Staryu were pretty small, but since they lack faces, I doubt they'd be considered cute. To be honest, I don't even know if Goldeen, Psyduck, or Politoed would be, either. That basically leaves Corsola, Togepi, and Horsea.

    As for May and Dawn, they did have a lot of small Pokemon, yes, but I wouldn't label them all as cute.

    I take it, now, that you think Serena will have a bunch of Pokemon encompassing small, cute, and/or feminine?

    Again, this is Pokemon. Look at how Dawn and Iris basically felt like, "second versions" of May and Misty. Yes they were very different, but you can tell their traits and roles in the series were designed to be the same as May and Misty.
    I know what you mean, and I can see the similarities, but I think there are far more differences. By no means are they even close to "the same".

    What I really want to know is the one question you ignored; you said:

    Just judging by what she looks like we know she likely will be a mix of Dawn and maybe a little of May and a tad of Misty.
    I ask again: what are you basing this off of when all we have is artwork; official and a poster? Especially since Misty, according to you, is different than May and Dawn?
    Hidden Mew likes this.
  10. Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrary
    Just because the anime mimics the game in being formulaic doesn't mean it's the same shit every season. The anime itself is shit regardless, though.
    That's basically what I was trying to get at, it's the formula that's shit.
  11. The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara
    Okay. So do you mean small or cute? Or feminine? There is a difference. Starmie and Staryu were pretty small, but since they lack faces, I doubt they'd be considered cute. To be honest, I don't even know if Goldeen, Psyduck, or Politoed would be, either. That basically leaves Corsola, Togepi, and Horsea.

    As for May and Dawn, they did have a lot of small Pokemon, yes, but I wouldn't label them all as cute.

    I take it, now, that you think Serena will have a bunch of Pokemon encompassing small, cute, and/or feminine?
    My guess is the writers don't want the female leads team to look better than Ash's. That's why in every region Ash generally has the best team of his travel companions. The female leads gets some strong pokemon, but the writers always make sure not to give them too many strong ones because they want Ash to look superior.

    Look at Iris, they kept her Axew unevolved just so she wouldn't have two evolved dragon pokemon...it would make her look stronger than Ash. Then look back at Dawn....why do you think they chose not to ever evolve Piplup to Empoleon? Part of it is marketing small and cute Pokemon, but other parts is not to overshadow Ash's teams.

    Truthfully none of the female protagonists teams have ever been that great, so there's no reason to expect Serena to be any different. Most likely Serena's going to get some type of small pokemon ala Togepi/Piplup/Axew that always remains out of its ball too.

    I know what you mean, and I can see the similarities, but I think there are far more differences. By no means are they even close to "the same".

    What I really want to know is the one question you ignored; you said:

    I ask again: what are you basing this off of when all we have is artwork; official and a poster? Especially since Misty, according to you, is different than May and Dawn?
    Its true we know nothing about her personality, but as I said the writers generally create personalities for the characters based on what they look like. When Dawn's design was first revealed she looked very feminine with a skirt, pocketbook, etc....so they gave her a girly feminine princess type personality in the anime. Iris on the other hand looks nothing like that, so they gave her a more tomboyish personality. May was kind of given something inbetween, since she didn't lean heavily toward either side.

    Serena has the same girly hair locks, skirt, and feminine design that Dawn did. In fact if you look at Serena's design on the poster and imagine her hair blue in your mind, she would look exactly like Dawn with a clothing change. The writers are not looking to break female character gender stereotypes, they just reuse a mix of personalities for female characters to aim at young girls.

    Also on a last note, there is ALWAYS hype for a new female lead when she's first introduced. If you read old threads from when either DP or BW first started, you'll see tons of people acting like Dawn or Iris were the, "greatest character ever." Then as the saga progresses and the initial newness and hype dies down, these type of comments disappear and people realize they weren't as interesting as they thought. Of course there are people who become huge fans of Dawn and Iris, but I'm mainly talking about the, "This new female lead looks good, I love her already!" type of crowd who die down a few months after the saga progresses.

    I've seen this happen for years. When DP first started people were calling Dawn, "the new Misty," because she had a water starter and at the beginning it looked like she would argue with Ash like Misty did. Of course 4 years later we now know Dawn's personality was the total opposite of Misty's in every way, but at the beginning you'd see people say that back in 2006.
  12. Pokémon Master Ash's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    The anime was always repetitive and redundant post-Kanto, but it wasn't [I]unbearable[/I] like it is now. It's unbelievably easy to predict what will happen, the League results (loss), Ash never aging, Ash and Team Rocket staying for the remainder of its duration, etc. I wouldn't call it "shit," because it did and still does have a certain charm to it, but it has certainly been made worse over the years because the people in charge only care about the target audience, being kids like many of us once were. I do think over time it has stayed the same in plot and such, but its emotion and simplicity have been on a sharp decline over the years. The battles and rivalries are better now, though, but overall I think the anime is worse now than when it began. Not nostalgia talking: I may have grown up with the older episodes, sure, but I do admit the incorporation of Japanese Culture was great in Kanto (and I did like it), the ability that the OS had to really strike sensitive chords with the viewer (much like how BW's dub episode of "Butterfree and Me!" showed us today) through its ability to cause us to relate to the characters on a more personalized level, and finally how many more real-world relations to the series were sort of incorporated into the mix: it wasn't always about the Pokemon, and there was something in it for everyone in a way. If you haven't watched anything since AG, for instance, and you watch BW, you'd be asking yourself...what is this stuff? O_O
    Bolt the Cat likes this.
  13. Team Gaara's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    My guess is the writers don't want the female leads team to look better than Ash's. That's why in every region Ash generally has the best team of his travel companions. The female leads gets some strong pokemon, but the writers always make sure not to give them too many strong ones because they want Ash to look superior.
    Iris has a Dragonite and an Excadrill. She already looks better than Ash with those two Pokes versus Ash's 5 not-fully-evolved ones and whichever 6th he has at any given time. I can agree with you on other seasons, though.

    If you think about it, Dawn in the Anime was actually made a little less girly than her game counterpart, design-wise. She has a normal backpack, as opposed to some huge travel bag looking thing, and her hair is shorter. And, based on that, judging just by looks, what of Misty's personality do you see in Serena since you say she looks so much like a Dawn?
  14. The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara
    Iris has a Dragonite and an Excadrill. She already looks better than Ash with those two Pokes versus Ash's 5 not-fully-evolved ones and whichever 6th he has at any given time. I can agree with you on other seasons, though.
    Maybe, but Ash did already defeat Iris' Dragonite and while Excadrill is strong its not unbeatable or anything. Also I generally dislike counting fully evolved Pokemon handed to main characters for no reason such as Dragonite, its the same reason I don't count Dawn's Togekiss as "her pokemon," since it was just given to her at the end of DP and she didn't train it.

    Dawn went the entire span of DP with Mamoswine as her only fully evolved Pokemon she owned. That's why I wish they didn't have her release Ambipom, it was her only other evolved Pokemon at the time. A real shame because I actually liked Dawn's team at the start but the writers refusal to do much with any of them beyond Piplup/Mamoswine felt like a letdown.

    If you think about it, Dawn in the Anime was actually made a little less girly than her game counterpart, design-wise. She has a normal backpack, as opposed to some huge travel bag looking thing, and her hair is shorter. And, based on that, judging just by looks, what of Misty's personality do you see in Serena since you say she looks so much like a Dawn?
    I meant Misty's personality in the sense that she's likely going to have a few anger moments, (May and Dawn had these too), a few motherly maternal moments (like Misty with Togepi or the others with their baby pokemon), and some sort of dynamic with Ash that parallel's all past girl.

    Honestly there's only so many ways the writers can write a female lead on the cast and have her interact with Ash. After 4 past female leads what else can you really do? She's going to be traveling with Ash for like 150+ episodes like all past females, so eventually she's going to settle to the same friendly girly interactions with him they all did.
  15. Hurricane Kishore's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    [QUOTE]2. She won't do Gyms, so she won't be a battler. After 4 female leads its obvious the writers only want Ash to challenge the Gyms. After we watched Misty not challenge any Gym leaders, May chose Contests over Gyms, Dawn stick with Contests besides one battle with Maylene, and Iris only battle Dragon Gym leaders...its obvious we're never going to see a girl go for badges and compete in the league, not on the main cast anyway.
    [/QUOTE]

    Why do you want a girl from Main cast challenging Gym & competing in the League when that's Ash's Job ???
    Do You seriously thinking about Double Gym-battle in Every gym ????
    That's even more childish then mine !!!
    If You want a girl challenging Gym & Participating in the League then we can always hope for a Female rival .
    Plus , Why you act like Femal cast being treated horribly ???
    As far as I see , Female cast got almost everything that Ash got but did Ash got anything that they got .
    Look around you , Nobody can't even imagine Ash getting the thing that the Female Cast got-

    -Nobody accept Ash to catch a fully evolved Pseudo-Legendary Pokemon Like Dragonite ! Which Iris got .

    -Nobody can hope that Ash will ever win a Long-term individual Tournament like Wallace Cup which Dawn won .

    -Nobody believe that Ash will be treated like a celebrity . However , May was treated like a star when she won her third ribbon.

    -Dawn reach the final of grand Festival and currently Ash got his ass whip by an idiot who didn't even need to use a 6th Pokemon and mange to get in Top 8 . I don't see any of Ash's female cast will be treated that Badly .

    There are a lot of thing female cast got So their aren't being neglected.
    Plus ,
    [B]Serena could be a Childhood friend of Ash who was lonely Shy girl until Ash approach Her ! She & Ash were close until her parent move to Kalo region like her game Counter-part and she made a promise with Ash ! [/B]
  16. Mega Charizard X's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    1. She's girl travel companion #5. The writers have already started re-treading old personality traits on new characters ever since Dawn was introduced. Just judging by what she looks like we know she likely will be a mix of Dawn and maybe a little of May and a tad of Misty. This is the Pokemon writers, they're not looking to make groundbreaking characters especially when the target audience is 6 years old.
    You don't know what she'll be like, I doubt she'll be just like Dawn. Heck she could even be like Paul or something lol.
    2. She won't do Gyms, so she won't be a battler. After 4 female leads its obvious the writers only want Ash to challenge the Gyms. After we watched Misty not challenge any Gym leaders, May chose Contests over Gyms, Dawn stick with Contests besides one battle with Maylene, and Iris only battle Dragon Gym leaders...its obvious we're never going to see a girl go for badges and compete in the league, not on the main cast anyway.
    Again, you don't know that, though it's probably unlikely, so I agree here.
    3. Since Contests don't seem to be returning it really doesn't seem like there's any available sidequest for her to do. We saw the way the writers treated the Pokeathlon, Musicals and Pokewood with one-off filler episodes and allowed them to be forgotten. The only reason Contests worked in the series is the writers treated them like battle tournaments, without any type of battling, a secondary quest tends to be pointless. (look at Ash's other sidekicks for examples of that)
    There will probably be a sidequest, I don't see Serena being treated as another co-star if she was going to have a Misty/Iris type of role.
    She's going to go through the motions of all past female leads. She's going to struggle to capture pokemon, she's going to have some sort of depression spell at some point, she's going to have her highs where she acts like a Ash/Dawn clone, and she's going to probably have almost all cute pokemon besides one or two. Again this is Pokemon, the writers aren't looking to challenge gender stereotypes. All the girls have been stuck with mostly cute pokemon besides one or two, so I doubt this time will be any different.
    That may be true, but the writers could always change something now and then. Nothing is really set in stone, like how BW showed us.
    5. By the time she leaves its going to be exactly the same as when May and Dawn left. She's going to realize she can travel on her own instead of with Ash, she's going to go to some past region (like Johto...hahaha) and she's going to look a bit more competent than when she started out. We've seen this three times already.
    Well I doubt it'll be exactly the same, but yeah that's what pretty much will happen...unless she stays after XY XD
    6. The repetition. If you told anyone 10 years ago that Ash was going to be on his 5th female travel companion, they would have laughed in your face. There's absolutely nothing interesting about Ash having a new girl travel with him every 4 years. No this does not mean I want any old characters back (god forbid), it makes Ash himself should have been wrapped up years ago.
    Tbh I'd rather watch for the female companions over Ash anyday. I do agree that Ash should have left long ago though, perhaps after Johto even.
    Yes Serena will have her fans and she'll gather a fanbase overtime the same way May and Dawn did, and I'm sure all the little kids growing up with XY will like her. But for the rest of us who have gone through this routine ever since AG started, its beyond beating the bottom of the barrel here.
    I wouldn't say that. I like getting new characters over having the same characters who never progress as a character and even regress in fact.

    Funny thing is the Dawn parallels are already being made, and I'm willing to bet if Serena and Dawn were reversed when DP was airing, it'd be no different besides the character design.
    You're going by her appearance. She may have some similar characteristics with Dawn, but she could have a completely different personality and character.
    I don't know about that since we have yet to see how her character is handled. Maybe you're right, maybe it would be exactly the same if they were reversed during DP, but we have yet to see how she will be handled in the anime.
    dracoflare likes this.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: