Bulbagarden Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

  1. Bubble Frog's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Wow, that just sounds absolutely terrible. It's a good thing you're moving out soon, best of luck on finding the your purloined cats. What are their names?
  2. WildGamer's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Ah, I see. For the record, i enjoy the transcribed parts. It's interesting to see what Paul's perspective is during those conversations.

    You ever catch that AMV i did of him/team galactic/barry?
  3. Shinneth's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by WildGamer
    I always wondered why you chose to transcribe the dub dialogue over the sub dialogue. Wouldn't the latter be more accurate/impactful for the purpose of your story?
    Funny you should bring that up, because at least for chapter 15 (which was the A Pyramiding Rage! adaptation) I fully transcribed scripts from both the dub and the sub and put both to use to make sure absolutely no details would be missed. Normally I'm not that anal, but DP128 is a very special episode to me that requires more than my usual effort!

    Besides that, eh... I'm using dub names, dub format of titling, and using sub dialogue only would probably look out-of-place compared to how the story's dialogue is otherwise. Mostly it's just a clash of styles since I've gone out of my way to make the story more of a dub formatted kinda thing. There's that and I'm far too lazy to get subbed copies of every single episode that I'll be transcribing, whether it's in full or partial. :P
  4. WildGamer's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I always wondered why you chose to transcribe the dub dialogue over the sub dialogue. Wouldn't the latter be more accurate/impactful for the purpose of your story?
  5. Shinneth's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Druddigon

    Going Eight - Going Ape, I assume? :P
    Yyyyes. Covering two major things that happen in that chapter: Reggie going absolutely apeshit, and Conway getting his 8th badge. I can't help but feel that I could make a better pun from that. :\ Feels like the dub took all the good eight-related puns already.

    Glad you like the value meal title. XD If I can't find a better jab at a fast food chain to fit the bill I'll settle for that one.
  6. Bubble Frog's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    How spoilerific.

    Going Eight - Going Ape, I assume? :P

    The Beacon Badge Value Meal!
    I'm a sucker for cheesy/pun/reference titles so I actually really like that one. :3
  7. SatoshiKun's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    This helped to make my day.
  8. 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Congratulations! What a hiatus to pull yourself out of!
  9. Shinneth's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Druddigon
    Virus Badge? I actually like the sound of that, though I can't help but be reminded of Korra when I hear the name Mako.
    gaaaaaah I can't stand Mako, now I'm gonna think of that every time I look back at this ><;

    Admittedly I got lazy when I tried to find a name for a male Poison-type Gym Leader, so I looked up a list of fictional poisonous/toxic stuff and came across Mako, which references the main energy source of Final Fantasy VII that's killing the planet the more often it's used. Mako poisoning in that game really fucks you up.
  10. Bubble Frog's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Virus Badge? I actually like the sound of that, though I can't help but be reminded of Korra when I hear the name Mako.
  11. Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I thought the red badge and the blue badge were related and both water cause...

  12. Please Understand's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    i like your nonsense it is great nonsense
  13. matt0044's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I still think you could try your hand at a parody fic to express your discontent and make humor out of it.
  14. Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Know feel uuum? Mam?
  15. Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    I love you :(
  16. Shinneth's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf
    Will Dawn wear a pink neck accessory, fapped to death by pedophiles, be treated like a messiah by everyone and become a teacher in the end though?
    HAH. Oh if only. Dawn's going to be a damn supermodel all up in this. Barry and Bianca's kids are my only planned intended jabs at Digimon 02's ending right now; no one on the main cast is going to end up being a goddamn astronaut for no reason. :P

    Even though I disagree with a good chunck of your views, both of the fic, BW, and DP; I like and respect your fanon ideas of how anime Sinnoh is layered out, how each of characters' families work, not to mention your diligent care for authenticity of characters' personalities and goals.
    And boy do I wish more people were like you when it comes to disagreeing about things. Seriously. Agreeing to disagree is the best thing. And I appreciate your sentiments! I've put way too much effort into expanding on the anime's canon, but it feels very worth it when people acknowledge the effort and like/respect the ideas I've put into the whole thing. It still weighs on my mind even though I've made little to no progress on the fic since I made this blog post (apparently I was too broken down to do much of anything on my vacation ._.), buuuut... I've got another smaller vacation lined up for next week, and since I'm too impatient with my crappy emulator to sample BW2 before I buy it when it comes out in the US, I just might do something with it in that timeframe. Because now we're coming up on a year since the last update, and by that point I need to start getting serious.

    I also like how you manage to be respectful to canon personalities and goals of characters you don't care much or like. I think that is one of the biggest selling points for me.
    The only one that really comes to mind that fits the criteria is Misty, which is true as I dislike her immensely. Though it wasn't very troubling at all to write for her and by now she's well beyond served her purpose so she won't be a factor again as far as I can see. :P Though she was an interesting experience to write for, if only because she got to bounce off characters I like in the story and I always found Misty infinitely more bearable if she isn't with Togepi or Ash. I suppose being lukewarm towards characters like Zoey count for something when I write for her, at least. Kenny's only been mentioned so far, and I really don't like him. He may or may not have a role somewhere in the fic, but I'm not sure where he'd even fit in, to be completely fair. One thing I'll pussy out on for sure is integrating BW characters in any way, which isn't really needed to begin with. The series already mucks with my fanon by pure virtue of keeping Ash 10 years old, let alone all the other damage it's done to Ash's character. I wouldn't trust myself to write for Iris, either; she'd be the hardest one to detach from my personal perceptions of her. Normally I avoid writing disliked characters like the plague if I REALLY detest them, but very few characters truly make my shit list.

    But while I consider the BW series not in continuity with the fic, I do plan on making the vaguest of reference to it once Trifecta reaches the post-League arc, as Paul will be in Kanto afterwards and Ash will not be there. Basically I'll just make it so that Ash went on vacation and not say where or that he decided to start a new journey in the middle of his vacation. :P I really appreciate that you take notice to these relatively small details!

    Of course there are things here and there which make you lose credibility(the whole "Y, I am your X", "X's parents not knowing parenting 101" and "X not telling Y what happened and instead lying" things have pretty much became in series gags), but your sadism towards characters is too enjoyable.
    I think that's the strongest criticism I've ever gotten for this story! Awesome. I'm glad you're willing to tolerate it because sadism is indeed one of my driving forces of inspiration that created the majority of this fic's scenarios. And yeah, sticking so closely to the anime canon can at times hinder the story of the fic rather than benefit it. But I figure that's part of the job. At this point I'm especially compelled to keep making horrible pun-tastic titles for each chapter because the BW dub has all but given up on that. :( I'll take cheesy alliterations that hardly make sense over bland dreck like "Ash and Trip's Third Battle!" any day.


    I secretly hope you are going for the Comashipping route, because if you are thinking what I am thinking, the whole "pink, child prodigy, dark skinned, purple haired, dragon princess who has a hairstyle that fits her dragon" thing will make too much sense and I won't be ever capable of removing that mental image, ever. Especially since I would never want to.
    Wow, you just blew my mind! Even though I have the epilogue mostly mapped out, Comashipping could be a thing that ends up happening. I've given it thought and I still can't think of who Ash would marry and have kids with (as I refuse to put him with Misty - if she marries anyone in the fic it's gonna be Tracey - and it's generally hard to portray him settling down with a girl and having kids and not traveling constantly anymore). My initial mental draft has Paul secretly shacking up with his replacement rival that will appear in the fic's 2nd arc (who is a game character), but it's not set in stone. The premise of an epilogue is sort of an informal family reunion, only like two parts of the cast are actually blood-related. I'm sort of drawing inspiration from Little Women where the main cast decides to meet at a certain spot in 10 years if they are still alive by that point and see if they've achieved the goals they've set out for each other. Only this will be 25 years, and this is something I'll have to set up at some point in the main story. I didn't plan on Ash being part of it since he and his buds aren't really part of the Trifecta clique, but if I can come up with an idea for him then I can find reason to shoehorn him into the epilogue. Guess it would be incomplete-feeling to end a Paul-based story without having any traces of Ash in it! And having an excuse for any form of Comashiping is A-OK in my book.

    So thanks for the suggestion. I shall keep it in mind. XD
  17. Trainer Yusuf's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth
    (that look EXACTLY LIKE THEIR PARENTS because it's a Digimon 02 gag),
    Will Dawn wear a pink neck accessory, fapped to death by pedophiles, be treated like a messiah by everyone and become a teacher in the end though? Wait. TomiokaxKonaka is canon. I knew it.

    Hearing news from your fic is great, even though this is like two months old. Even though I disagree with a good chunck of your views, both of the fic, BW, and DP; I like and respect your fanon ideas of how anime Sinnoh is layered out, how each of characters' families work, not to mention your diligent care for authenticity of characters' personalities and goals. Especially your attempts to justify why characters act the way they do which not only fits in with the story, but also their canon personalities. I also like how you manage to be respectful to canon personalities and goals of characters you don't care much or like. I think that is one of the biggest selling points for me. Of course there are things here and there which make you lose credibility(the whole "Y, I am your X", "X's parents not knowing parenting 101" and "X not telling Y what happened and instead lying" things have pretty much became in series gags), but your sadism towards characters is too enjoyable.

    Just a secret celebrity lover.
    I secretly hope you are going for the Comashipping route, because if you are thinking what I am thinking, the whole "pink, child prodigy, dark skinned, purple haired, dragon princess who has a hairstyle that fits her dragon" thing will make too much sense and I won't be ever capable of removing that mental image, ever. Especially since I would never want to.
  18. Meron's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Lucky. Not even a common trainer has had my name, not even the English version of it... :'( Maybe in BW2...
  19. TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth
    Hey, I said "most", not "all"!

    Besides that, plenty of girls are conniving bitches in this world.

    Basically, we're all horrible people.
    :1
  20. H-con's Avatar
    • |
    • permalink
    So the conclusion is, call enough people assholes and it's okay.

    I guess that's one way of seeing things.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast